I Forge Iron

Broken or cut-off?

Picked this up for $100. It's an old Hill with excellent rebound. 

Im just wondering if the horn was broken off or cut off. Maybe someone has knowledge about how these things were put together. I'm thinking that I'll fabricate a new horn and weld it on, eventually.... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yep, been using it as is. Just isn't natural for me to leave well enough alone. Always running my brain trying to figure things out or make things better. It's annoying sometimes. But I guess it's all part of who I am. 

I have found myself needing a cone type thing to pound on lately. So, I figured adding a horn might not be a bad idea. Of course I suppose if I get one turned on a lathe I could just mount it on its own. Like a cone mandrel. 

I did the ball bearing rebound test on it when I picked it up. Dropped it from 12" and came back up to 11". I like it a lot. 

Edited by Branstetter

• 2 years later...

So, like some of my projects this one took a bit to get done. 

Ended up trimming a very large cast steel bucket tooth to the rough shape of a horn. Because the tooth was hollow towards the big side I was able to do a full pen weld. Yea, it took a while. But I wanted to get acquainted with my Craigslist freebie Lincwelder 225. 10lbs of 7014, 5lbs of 7018 and a few haddfacing rods later this is the result. 

Still going to do some more shaping as soon as I get my gouging set up. 

37E2FD94-54B2-4495-BE3F-C5C920448B76.jpeg

1CB8953C-728F-4CF4-AC69-25252441D8E8.jpeg

1EEB7847-8F86-4386-BBA5-9A72B262B178.jpeg

7 hours ago, ausfire said:

Wow, that is way cool. Ya wanna start on this one?

DSC_2259.jpg

Sure. Looks like it could use some attention.  Send it my way and I’ll put it on the list! 

3 hours ago, Dave51B said:

Have you done the ball bearing test after all that welding?                Dave

Yes. Only lost 1/2” or so in the area near the surface.