I Forge Iron

gift as menento , rusled up a hammer

ianinsa

On Saturday I was going to visit(and meet for the first time) a smith that posted a video of his shop here on IFI.

I thought about taking him a small memento, so I quickly rustled this up. It still needed final dressing, some 'rust vinegar ' to stain the Rhodesian Teak handle and some waxing.

The head is 3lbs. And is Bohler k990 it is heat treated and will be in the region of 56 Rockwell. I'll always be grateful to Ken Mermelstein of Stumptown forge for showing me how! Thanks again.

I took along my 20KVA induction forge to show him just how wonderful they are, but alas the water pump decided to play silly buggers!( what a disaster) but that's another story.

WIN_20150503_173653.JPG

WIN_20150503_173755.JPG

WIN_20150503_173723.JPG

That's a well designed hammer the face looks like it would be good for finishing and the  large rounded peen will get plenty of use.Induction forge no noise no smoke but at 20 kva I probably couldn`t afford the power bill, although yours would be three phase I guess.

Wonderful hammer Ian , looks very well made, one hell of a memento .

Interesting design , a couple of questions about it . 

Where dose that style/pattern of hammer originate ?  

and dose it have any benefits over say a ye oldie traditional smiths hammer ?  

Thanks ,,,,,,,,,,, Rob  

​Thanks for the compliment Rob,

I recon Hoffi should get the credit on the style/pattern and if nothing else the cudos for popularizing it, there still seems to be a lot of debate on this. Any how Ken worked/studied with Hoffi and I spent an afternoon with Ken exchanging ideas while forging and the rest is history! BTW. I have never seen or touched one of Hoffi's hammers(I believe Alan has one but when I visited him it might have been hidden under some trapeze outfits :) ) Anyhow I love these hammers and my thanks to Ken and Hoffi for the introduction.

​Thanks for the compliment Rob,

I recon Hoffi should get the credit on the style/pattern and if nothing else the cudos for popularizing it, there still seems to be a lot of debate on this. Any how Ken worked/studied with Hoffi and I spent an afternoon with Ken exchanging ideas while forging and the rest is history! BTW. I have never seen or touched one of Hoffi's hammers(I believe Alan has one but when I visited him it might have been hidden under some trapeze outfits :) ) Anyhow I love these hammers and my thanks to Ken and Hoffi for the introduction.

​Two. 

But I am not boasting….honest! :)

Alan