I Forge Iron

Belt Grinder -- Looking for good options in Anchorage area

Belt Grinder Info Rabbit Holes
I have been spending a lot of time looking into what it would take to have a good 2 x 72 (inch) belt grinder (e.g. KMG).

I am in Eagle River (AK). 

Just Buy One! Maybe Not...
I found that companies do not ship here, or the cost is (not surprisingly) quite high.
Before doing anything particularly foolish I am looking to you all for suggestions.

Make or Buy? Is there a good option...
I have not found sufficient info to be comfortable making a grinder, and in my ignorance I would likely get started and end up spending "a lot of money" and be the owner of a pile of parts -- particularly since I do not have access to a machine shop or the knowledge of where to get what and how to avoid issues that an experienced person could address easily. 

Avoiding Mistakes By Asking For Help
I have looked at a lot of information on this topic, and what I am looking for now is regionally specific guidance.

I Think I Missed A Sign On The Way In
Please point me to a post that us noobs often need to be directed to since I doubt i am not asking something new.

If you have a belt grinder that you like are you are relatively close-by, I would appreciate the opportunity to meet you and learn a bit about what you make/repair/etc. and what resources (vendors of parts, materials, services) you find helpful.

Best Wishes

Edited by Steve Anderson

I know you're asking about the 2x72 and I'm sure that some one here has a good answer for ya. But I was in a similar situation and I settled on a Craftsman 2x48.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-21513-1-3-hp-electric-belt-disc-sander-21513/p-00921513000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

There are some variety of belts out there for it, and its very easily and cheaply modded. It may not be anything that will work for you but I thought I'd just mention it, and they might ship it to ya or to a store close by. I'm actually thinking about adding an 8" wheel to mine or just converting it to a 2x72 now since I have some better tools and a decent place to keep it. So I'll be watching this thread.

Good luck.

Edited by norrin_radd

First off -- thank you for the replies! (Please see lower portion of this post for specific replies)

Since writing the original question

I have searched more and I am looking into getting a Grinder in a box (GIB) from Polar Bear Forge. Flat rate USPS boxes are a great way to receive stuff up here.

I will post what I am thinking about getting if it seems to to be a good idea. The biggest issues continue to be shipping And my ignorance of what I need -- such as what motor(s) will work well with which VFD(s), what electrical work will be needed and can be done in my shop/house. 

(Maybe I need to find someone here to help me, since it is not fair to expect you all to supply the answers.) 

EXAMPLE

Will this motor (3hp) or this motor (2hp) work well with this VFD and assuming my electrical system is "normal" for the US, should it be a trivial job for an electrician to install an appropriate outlet?

I used Amazon as the preferred vendor since I can often get much lower (or free) shipping. even for a more powerful motor the lower shipping makes it much cheaper--and many of the ompanies will not ship to my address.

Otherwise, For a motor like what is needed here, "regular" shipping is ~$110 to $150.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

I know you're asking about the 2x72 and I'm sure that some one here has a good answer for ya. But I was in a similar situation and I settled on a Craftsman 2x48.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-21513-1-3-hp-electric-belt-disc-sander-21513/p-00921513000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

There are some variety of belts out there for it, and its very easily and cheaply modded. It may not be anything that will work for you but I thought I'd just mention it, and they might ship it to ya or to a store close by. I'm actually thinking about adding an 8" wheel to mine or just converting it to a 2x72 now since I have some better tools and a decent place to keep it. So I'll be watching this thread.

Good luck.

Norrin - the reasonable price lof the 2"x48" does make it an option to consider. I have a similar Delta tool with a 8" disc and a 4"x 36" belt that I bought used and it is quite useful for some things. A problem I have with mine it that the belt frame is wider than the belt and makes it impossible to cut in around the edge of the belt - wider by 0.5" on the left and 1.5" on the right.

Send me an e-mail at waynecoe@highland,.net.  I can probably help you on this.  Or at least I'll try.

Thank you Wayne. I did also see the link to your site from Polar Bear Forge.

I'm sure Frosty would chime in on this, being an Alasakan, but he's having some site difficulties right now, hasn't been able to post.  I know one of the Admin's is working with him on it it, hopefully he'll be able to reply soon.  

Thank you Spanky, it is good to know that. I am hoping to hear from Frosty. I think Frosty is located about 1 hour (+/-) Northeast of me.

Edited by Steve Anderson
added another motor option

Pound for pound, the variable speed is the winner I think. What kind of tooling do you have Mr. Anderson? I built my own grinder by just looking at the KMG pictures. There are versions out there that require minimal tooling ( think wood and screws), but I think you would want something a little more substantial. How are you with electricity? Do you have the capability of opening up a breaker panel, and adding a circuit? I've heard the VFD's that Mr. Coe sells are pretty much top notch. You'll definitely want an enclosed drive, metal dust kills the cheaper ones if you're not careful. Or you can make your own enclosure as you see fit.

I scrounged most of the parts for mine over the course of 1.5 years, and it took a weekend to build it. Call me frugal. haha. Beaumont sells small parts such as wheels and platens, and the quality is pretty high. I like them a lot. 

In town suppliers would be: 

Motor  --- Craigslist, Hayden Electric, or online

Steel  --- Alaska Steel, Greer Tank

Pulleys  --- US Bearings 

Hardware  --- Home Depot/Lowes, Fire and Fastener

I think minimum tooling necessary would be a drill press, 4.5" angle grinder, and a welder. Maybe even a framing square so as to keep things in plane. 

Thanks Jeddly

THANKS  for that information. Great to know.

I have and can effectively use a drill press, 4.5" angle grinder, and a welder (Oxy/Ace torches).

I am a hobbyist, artist, whatever... and do feel out of place with steel vendors who typically sell to people who know what they are doing, what they need, don't have such laieve questions, and buy quantities that and so much larger than I will use.

Greer tank has a good group of people and they are easier to buy smaller quantities of steel from. A little more expensive than buying in bulk from Alaska steel but way cheaper than the big box stores. They also have a waterjet if you ever need multiples of an item cut in steel, plastic, rubber!

I went ahead and ordered a KMG. I was wasting time going in circles In my head.

I am thinking that I will benefit from using a grinder that should not have manufacturing "quirks" so i can focus on developing my skill and experience --  not obsess about other possible issues and "should I haves."

I was overwhelmed by the number of options.

Than you for the info and Ideas.

《(Add cross link to related post)》