I Forge Iron

First Knife (WIP)

Ok, so Its a bit more like a letter opener, but I forged it out all the same. My only regret is I didn't take more process shots.

I'm not sure what kind of steel it was, but it came from the workings of a recliner, much like the circled piece in this picture.

knife_material.thumb.jpg.4b4907b6c4cf48d

Forged and hardened in motor oil, tempered in my oven, and then polished a little.  I was pleased at how significantly stronger it became after the whole process. I was able to bend the original piece of metal, but not now. along side are pewter ingots and a sample of the wood for my handle. The wood is a hardwood flooring sample I got for free at Lowes.

IMG_2734.thumb.JPG.30af792b5a5b7c7e5a64aWax skull molded onto the blade for a quillon. or fitting maybe? cross guard? Terminology help would be appreciated here.

IMG_2732.thumb.JPG.e2a538e271818c4ac7ccb

Pewter skull fresh from the mold

IMG_2737.thumb.JPG.ca19a845c066d8bf0ba37

And here is either side of the knife in its current state. I get pewter cups from thrift shops for my casting purposes.IMG_2753.thumb.JPG.f23919724518912c6ff12IMG_2754.thumb.JPG.7ce73cda7584c2c0cd45a

I'm still working on the pommel, but here are 2 looks I've been playing with in wax. I had one failed casting (second photo). Who knew a marble would float in molten pewter. IMG_2745.thumb.JPG.8427821e02cf2f04197b5IMG_2748.thumb.JPG.d9fcb1d02ef0fa3fa04f5

I would love any feedback.  I'm using a coffee can propane forge, the anvil on the back of a vise, and whatever hammers I have at hand. Steel too for that matter (hence the chair parts).

IMG_2752.JPG

Edited by Dragontrainingwheels

Welcome aboard D T Wheels, glad to have you.

I'm not a bladesmith so I can't tell you anything about the recliner guts but I tend to think it's too low carbon for good edge holding.

No No NO! The back of your vise is NOT an anvil suitable for work heavier than straightening nails. It is NOT for forging, you'll damage your vise. While it gets a lot of bad press RR rail is just fine as an anvil but keep looking for one anyway.

Not a bad first effort though. Keep at it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Leaf springs work for getting started but are not god idea in the long run, because there is no way of knowing about any micro fractures until you spent way too much time on it. So its better to try to get 'drops' from the places the work on truck springs, some will let you have sections of the cut offs for free, others uo to 40cents a pound which is scrap price.  You can buy a 5ft long bar of good knife steel 1/4 x 1.5 inch for about $15, not only will that make a great blade, but you dont have to crawl threw a junk yard to get it.  Read in the anvil section about finding good anvils and substitutes. I fear your vise is not made for taking a beating and wont last long.  knife makers always have uses for a working vise.

Nice knife for a first timer! I like how creative you've gotten for procuring supplies. I would have never thought to use some hardwood flooring samples! Great idea. 

Also, digging the Death Adder in the background! 

I've only played with casting pewter a few times. Nice skull! 

The sample was a friends idea. He has a lot more building experience than I do. He's never done smithing before either, though.

Ive done a bit of casting and mold making in the past, and pewter is my favorite thing to work with. I've got a bad habit of mixing too much plaster, though. 

My gaming PC is outfitted with a Razer Black Widow Chroma and a Taipan. I splurged a little bit when I finished building the computer. 

I knew I was gonna catch some heck for using the vise. I have been reading a lot of posts. But it is what I used  for this one and I've got my eye out for its replacement before I start my next project. My vise sends it thanks for all for their concerns for its safety

HF has their 55 pounder for 60, but I have read some very mixed reviews on it. I'll probably use a sledge or a piece of RR track.  

That mixed review is actually what caused me to buy the 15lb one, with the cheap cost being 20.00, I looked at it as if it survived for even a month, and gave me the ability to work on my skills, It would have been money well spent. 

Also, I see that Steve has removed my original response suggesting that 15lb anvil and the idea of using Coil/Leaf spring steel to work on, He has a very good point about the stress fractures and the potential for wasted time working on a piece with a flaw in it, as that is a very real possibility. 

Now would be a great time to scrounge a scrap steel anvil while scrap prices are in the tank, like 2¢ a pound in the tank. It dropped $80 a ton in one month when China slowed its buying frenzy.  Look ,or ask for a forklift tine, they make great anvils. Rental yards are good to ask since they get some yahoos renting lifts. 

Nice job so far. Spend some time detailing it, and it will be worth the effort. Letters will tremble in fear when it is drawn!