I Forge Iron

De-cluttering our hoards of 'stuff'I

Ohio Rusty

I came across an interesting and useful article of de-cluttering our stuff. I call it decrapifying ........ We all do it and we all have an immense amount of 'stuff' that we 'might use someday'.   When I read this article ...I thought the author was using me as the example and talking about me.  I thought some folks might find this an interesting read and for others, not so much. I definitely need to be better about decluttering as I know I have a lifetime of stuff ..... some which will not get used.  Last year in front of my trade blanket thre at Quad state, I had a big 'free' pile of iron things I accumulated. It was all gone that day.  My personal Quadstate Freecycle Program !!

Ohio Rusty ><>

The Ohio Frontier Forge

http://www.rootsimple.com/2015/02/de-cluttering-for-diyers-homesteaders-artists-preppers-etc/#more-18000

Good article, I have been trying real hard to de-clutter the garage. I decided that anything I have not used in 1 year was gone unless it was real important, I also sold any doubles of tools this winter.  It help me out to set a goal, new anvil this spring or pick one up at Quad state what ever comes first. Have a good size anvil fund now just waiting to fine one. My biggest problem is metal scraps, took a load to the scrap yard last month. Need to break down and do another load this month.  

Every month when I go to our local Forge Council meeting I raid the scrap bin of the guy who owns the shop (with his blessing, of course).  What you experienced smith's throw away!!!  I've recently produced several days worth of forgings entirely from another Smith's scrap.    To the new and hungry smith your castoffs are GOLD.  So YES to de-cluttering but also YES to finding someone nearby who would kill for a go at it.   Scrap yards won't let you roam around in many parts of the country (liability concerns) so it'd be like taking a dog to the pound and hoping he gets adopted - he likely won't.  Nor will your scrap.  Find a new smith nearby, or just take a load to your Forge meeting.  One man's trash and all that.  

Or heck, just ship it all to me.  Along with any tools you don't need.  

I recon I have that packrat gene somewhere in my makeup and like most blacksmiths I keep too much stuff(clutter/cr.p). That said imagine if this concept really caught on!

Very few would have a decent anvil, they would have been recycled into baked bean cans. Wrought iron? That's the stuff they have at the museum isn't it? When a member asks " how do you etch monel I wouldn't be able to go to the large pale green book(that I've forgotten he name of) and haven't looked at(well in) for probably 2 years and help with the answer? And those that have a program to restore/fix that ........ would not be able to as all those desperately needed parts etc. Would have been scraped as they would have been 'dead stock' somewhere. There would be no 15yr old single malt(heaven forbid) no 'old wine' etc.,etc.

Much to my chagrin my dearest wife went on a declutter binge  last year, our home on the coast had a large and full library, this was decimated, yes we did have 8 or so sets of encyclopedias of which  3 were Britannica of differing ages, one a white leather-bound set my parents bought 50+ years ago. They scrimped and scraped for   the ideal/dream of Getting their children better Educated than they were. So now we have less clutter yes! And we have empty bookshelves and no beautifully old books Yay!

decrapifying or decluttering the supply  pile is a GREAT GREAT sin you must REPENT! ! I tell you :o

you must go to the anvil and strike it 3 time's & ask for forgiveness thy smith :rolleyes:

Besides that if you do it - THEN & get this !!! you will just nave to re-fill the VOID AGAIN any how

Ha LOL ! :D   Its called addiction

Edited by IronWolf

The resource center (scrap pile) does need organized from time to time.

De-cluttering is not having two of something and throwing one out. De-cluttering is the organization of existing materials. Put the tools back where they belong. Wrap cords up and out of the way. Fix what is broken. Sweep the floor. Use what you have on hand.  Rotate the 5 gallon bucket of smaller and smaller pieces of metal out the door and replace it with a new empty bucket. Next rotation take the outside bucket to a blacksmith gathering.

After you have cleaned up a bit, consider the source of de-clutter suggestions. THEY may need professional help, and a clean white padded room that has no clutter. While they visit with the professionals, build or add to the height of your privacy fence.

Edit: I mean no offense toward Ohio Rusty or the author of the article. Those that do not work in a blacksmith shop or production shop should not insist on moving the anvil because they bumped into it.

Edited by Glenn

I looked around my work area and couldnt see any of this so called  "clutter"????, it must be under all the good stuff! My rule is that if I forgot I even had it to get rid of it.  I do wish that we had more old industrial scrap pieces up here, I have a weakness for old gears, pulleys and wheels so its actually probably good that we dont.