I Forge Iron

50lb Modern hammer

That is a SWEET little hammer, it's not tall and the foot print is very compact. I get the adjustable pivot, just the fine detail has me scratching my head but it's just details. I like it a lot but not half a percent as much as I bet you do.

Congratulations! I can't wait to see it in action, especially the adjustable pivot.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well no video tonight. A 50 amp motor just won't run for more than about 15 seconds on a 50 amp breaker and no 60 to be found in the shop. Just long enough to smash a 1x2. But it is in and running (sorta).

The height between the dies on the low setting is 2.5 inches and at the high setting is 4.5 inches. Video to follow finding a older square D 60 amp breaker. 

Chris

So small update but no video yet. Figured out wiring! I swear the previous owner told me it was wired as 220v turns out nope 110v so in the vein of if it ain't broke don't fix it I ran with 110v and the old Westinghouse 3hp motor purrs away. I hard wired the 12 ft lead the hammer came with and added a vintage switch on the machine so I am not using the breaker as a on off switch. Chris image.thumb.jpg.48d364dc90230f6adfbe0a5d

Maybe it ain't pretty but having the off switch vividly visible is a good idea. You never know when an emergency shutdown is needed and the person who knows where the off switch is may NOT be the closest person.

Frosty The Lucky.

Maybe it ain't pretty but having the off switch vividly visible is a good idea. You never know when an emergency shutdown is needed and the person who knows where the off switch is may NOT be the closest person.

Frosty The Lucky.

True maybe I'll paint it a better bright color ???? chris

Paint it brass or copper so it blends into the period look, but stands out against the black.  Copper and Brass go really well with old power hammers.

Though, probably the best thing to do would be to mail the hammer to me so you don't have to worry about someone needing to know where the off switch is.    :D 

True maybe I'll paint it a better bright color ???? chris

​Something like that but paint the OFF switch/button so it stands out and a person doesn't have to make a decision. Look at the switches on new drill presses for an example. Heck you could just buy one of the switches.

Don't forget to charge Vaughn the usual 350% for shipping and handling. It'd only be fair seeing as he's getting it free don't you think?

Frosty The Lucky.