I Forge Iron

How to safely ask curmudgeons for advice?

Glenn

You're Sooooo right about the folk this thread is "aimed" at reading it for the reasons you state. We know that, Really we do. This thread is a place we can blow off steam without scalding the little ones who stoke our fires. I don't know if that's what Glenn had in mind when he started it but it's working nicely.

About that sometimes humorous crack. So you think we're funny do you? :o Well, some of us may be but we laugh behind their backs so as not to hurt their feelings. We're a naturally sensitive bunch you know. :P

You ask good questions and I really LIKE Odd posts.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief I really need to vent here instead of replying to some of the . . . silly naval gazing . . . mental . . . pud. . . Nevermind .  . .  ing.

Gee John, I'm cut to the quick! :o Well, half way anywho. :P

I just gotta stop trying to reply in an adult manner to some of the silliest questions I've seen in a while. I mean really how are these guys going to make anything work if they can't do the most basic modeling or lack basic logic skills? I'm betting they don't know how much they lack in the figure it out skill sets?

I didn't get put through a single lecture about using logic and I graduated high school in 69, gave up on wasting time and money on college in 71. Thinking about it though Boy scouts did teach us map reading and basic how to find your way home logic, coupled with Mother and Dad's intransigence about helping us figure things out while demanding we do is maybe where I learned how.

I thought my TBI was causing me to get lost in irrelevant minutia instead of just getting down to brass tacks. However I'm reading posts by guys trying to figure out how to bend a piece of strip stock and drill aligned holes for a shackle or mix mud. Are they bending paper or just trying different muds? (Oh NOooooo Mr. Bill!) how about instead we delve into the intricacies of precision layout worthy of hot forging jet engine parts or high temperature ceramics suitable for coating said jet engine parts?!

Bless your heart and thank YOU Glenn for giving me a place I can vent my shocked outrage. I feel much better now. :)

I AM however going to save this reply in case it's Forbidden by our oh SOOOOOO wonderful operating system.

Frosty the Lucky.

A lot of us started in the fifties and sixties. We did not have internet and old-timers were hard to find. We worked problems out by trial and error.  didn't work the first or second time rethink your method. It is only cheap metal!

• 2 months later...

Several problems occur and it's easy to take them personally. In general when dealing with what I consider a "hard" craft: metal work, stone work, carpentry, etc. etc. If you don't want to know my opinion don't ask. Don't get sensitive when told that won't work or worse there's a better method. If you knew you wouldn't have asked. If you knew and asked just go stir something up you're a TROLL, go to a corner and shut your mouth.

Another issue is the new guys. Everybody wants to help, it's human nature with a few exceptions we call Trolls. Unfortunately this desire to help all too often causes folk who don't have the experience to know what they're talking about piping up and offering advice. All too often completely wrong or missing the mark completely. That is a major problem doing research on the modern internet.

Having someone with an issue start lecturing folk about how they SHOULD answer questions is just exposing themselves as a "ShouldHead."

Ask about a piece of equipment you have already researched and decided on THEN complaining about differing opinions is borderline Troll behavior.

Any honest questions are generally welcome. If we point you to archived answers don't get mad, get to reading. Well thought out questions are a treasure, it makes us think about the why of our method so we can explain it. These are pure gold.

If you're offended by my replies, please, PLEASE set me to "Ignore" in your filters, I'm tired of whiny explanations about why MY answer isn't worded in a way not to hurt your feelings. I'll be more than happy to not bother you if you'll just not read what I write. Or just tell me and I won't reply to any of your questions. I promise.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I remember the time and effort I spent trying to teach myself the craft. For any years I was just beating steel on something. I didn't know about ABANA nor any blacksmithing books till the early mid 80's and I found "The Art Of Blacksmithing" by Alex Bealer on a close out table at a local book store. That was my first exposure to actual blacksmithing info. Why somethings didn't work or Yeah right that Does work, etc. but how to do things, what this meant, etc. etc.

After a while I started running into people who did a little and a LOT was Mother Earth News BS. Written by folk who didn't actually know didly for people who didn't know that much. Still it was something, use a SINK for a forge! DUH.

When the internet went public it paid for itself for me in the first 2 hours by putting me in contact with ABANA's theforge.list and the old Artmetal.list. I was in contact and I was off and running.

The rant of mine was just me being cranky. Folk who have to have their information spoon fed them are pursuing the wrong craft. Asking a question you've already decided for yourself THEN complaining about folk who don't agree is either an underveloped personality or a Troll.

Pile that on a response from someone who was taking a number of blacksmiths with differing answers for being hostile. Two guys who thought because we disagree we're being hostile just got to me.

It's okay though I got my mad out without naming names or calling names and Glenn posted it here instead of where I did. It's all good.

Frosty The Lucky.

You have that right Thomas. You can only learn ABOUT something by studying it, to learn to DO it you have to.

Frosty The Lucky.

We had a phrase given to us at college reputedly by Confucius, which neatly coincided with the educational psychology theories of the time...

I hear and I forget.

I see and I remember.

I do and I understand.

Alan

The same thing is said so many different ways by so many different people there just might be something to it eh?  :o

Frosty The Lucky.

nah, you're just a bunch of 'ol meanies' whotcha mean research it? I Googled it and watched a YouTube video, of course I understand quantum mechanics besides Sheldon Cooper makes it seem so easy!:D Besides I saw on xxxx Chanel they made an entire wootz sword from sand and er. Glass I think in just half an hour. So I'm going to make one! I don't have sand like theirs handy so I'm going to use brown  sugar cause it looks similar, and my mom won't let me use real glass so i'll use a clear plastic milkshake cup from the fast food joint cause it does the same thing? So why not? Now when I've done forging it, will it shear or just cut a meteorite? Please don't waffle or use facts to back up your opinion, show your intelligence by concurring with me!

Sound familiar gents  :D

Edited by ianinsa

Familiar? I could not possibly comment.

Do you get the "Grumpy Old Men" series on TV? Maybe it is licensed over here or there...but the UK version includes Prog. Rock king Rick Wakeman holding forth about the waste of space the youth of today are. Bit of shock to hear him go on like your grandad did…but then the awful realisation that you were moaning about the same thing just last week… :(

Alan

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

Never met a child from a working farm that was a whiner.

Nor I      I read an article a number of years ago written by a Juvenile  Judge in Calf.  The one quite I remember the most was " He had never had a Juvenile come before him in Court who owned a Horse!"  I'm sure it would be the same for cattle, or sheep!  

The last of my working life we stopped hiring anyone less than 40 yr. old. This order came down from the Boss's Grandson who himself was only 28.  The younger ones were not dependable, lazy and uneducated in the most basic working skills, esp making change.  A major ski area in our area gives a test just on making change before taking a resume or interview, vast majority fail that simple test.      

• 6 months later...

a note for any member that thinks its fun to bait Bears:

It may be entertaining for some to abuse staff members or call names or make accusations just to get Glenn to call us to ask what is going on,  but by now some have found out that some of us bears have the ability to lock your account,   Harassment of members will not be tolerated and that is inclusive of staff

PS ---- staff has access to tracking so we know you have read the PM I sent you over the weekend your account will not be unlocked until after you do explain to our satisfaction what game you are playing.  It is funny now?????