I Forge Iron

show me your biggest hammer!

are we talking sledges or forging hammers? i have a 10# plumb cross pein sledge,and as far as forging hammers go i have a 5.9# hand forged rounding hammer. Basically a lump of steel on a stick that i use to punch and drift hammer stock when i have no striker.

ifi hammers 041.JPG

ifi hammers 039.JPG

I married my wife for her 17# crosspeen; but the local store back there carried new ones to 20# and some old CCC folks claimed they used 32# ones to break rocks. (2 different groups located in different parts of the country making the claim a bit more believable)

• 7 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Just made this 13lbs. sledge over at a buddies shop. He has a coal Iron Works forging press, and all the proper tooling to work this much steel. Made short work of it. 1681151559643.thumb.jpg.b72ee5bac5e6e2ab9ce9305a366af186.jpg

1681151511797.thumb.jpg.ee865ca99579e548123460658d2091fb.jpg

also, Firdinand please share a photo of the 42lbs hammer!

Frosty.

It's a great tool for sure, I have used the Coal Iron Works press a few times now, for Making hammers and some hand fuller, and this sledge. The press is a little intimidating for sure, I feel more comfortable on his powerhammer than using the press. But that thing moves some material with ease. It's amazing. 

I've used and like power hammers but haven't tried a forging press let alone a serious one. I'd love to take a lash at that one. Maybe one of these days when Deb and I are snow birding and visiting her older son in Ore. Then again we both have a list of people to meet, I'm sure someone on my list has a forging press and or  hopefully a forge roll.

Frosty The Lucky.

The forging press is pretty amazing.

After running the 18 ton press, a few days I am seriously considering selling my car for one of the bench top 12 ton forging presses. My shop is not much bigger than a large shipping container, so floor space is limited. But  what an arm saver.