I Forge Iron

Looking for an anvil in Mich

Hi All

I'm new to this site but from what I've seen I there is more info than I'll ever remember.  I'm old.

I've been watching craigs list but they are outrageous.  I don't mind paying a fair price but I just don't know where to look.  Anyone know where I can look in my area.  I'm in western Mich.

Thanks Terry

Don't let the lack of an "real anvil" keep you from smithing. Get on over to a scrap yard, heavy equipment repair shop , or similar location and get a big chunk of steel to use for an anvil. You can get a much larger piece for the money than you can for a factory anvil. 

Welcome to IFI. I have a bunch of relatives near Detroit.

Welcome aboard Terry, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you  might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. Do a search of IFI for the TPAAAT, it's a technique for finding anvils and well most any kind of stuff. Fortunately you're living in pretty rich blacksmith tool country, you ought to try finding any in Alaska.

On this site's opening page near the bottom is the regional organization links. UMBA is a strong organization get connected and you'll be hooked up with folk who can and will show you the ropes, network for tools, equipment, materials fuel, hammer ins, BBQs, conventions, etc. etc.

Oh, not that it really matters but I married a UPer. She lived on a 40 acre hobby farm in Ironwood and when I visited the first time she was shocked to learn there was a blacksmith shop next to the creek about 50' from the house. No tools unfortunately but it was fun to explore. Nice country, I love fall colors and yours ROCK.

Frosty The Lucky.

On a whim, I'd take a day trip to visit the blacksmith barn. They're southern Michigan, and you'll see them on eBay a lot. It's all too rich for my blood, but I would love to go check out the shop in person. It'll help you discern a good anvil from a bad one. Do some rebound tests on their anvils, so you have a standard to compare against when you start looking at stuff from Craigslist.

My suggestion is this: tpaat is great, do it, but persistence is key in everything. Check craigslist every 3 hours. I've been the first on the scenece for several anvils that I passed on (price vs quality) and just missed that I would have paid more than asking. You have to keep on it. And talk to people. Chat them up. Ask if they know anybody with an anvil, listen to stories for half an hour and THEN ASK AGAIN. You'll see how much they remember in half an hour.