I Forge Iron

Bending jig ideas

6 hours ago, SReynolds said:

Not following you on that. I only add bushings/pipe to one of the "pins".

longer lengths of angle would work to expand on size, correct?

The way I do it, you don't need longer angles.

I also just add my "pipe ring" to one of the pins.

But what I use is just a ring, about 2 inches long, cut from the end of a piece of pipe.

When you drop the ring over one of the pins, it doesn't need to be centered or "bushed", ... the inner edge of the ring rests against the pin.

Then, you just slide the pins ( with the ring over one of them ) to accommodate the diameter of the stock you're bending, and lock the vice down at that point.

The pipe ring forms and eccentric circle, relative to the location of the pins.

Now, you place your material in the gap between the pins ( with the ring over one of them ) and then bend the material right around the pipe ring.

While it's a little bit difficult to explain, ... The process is actually childishly simple.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, SmoothBore said:

lock the vice down at that point

I just noticed this spelling / semantic error, ... and I've missed my "window of opportunity" for editing the original text.

While bending and forging steel might well be considered a "vice", ... In this particular instance, I was actually referring to a "vise".

----------------------------------------------

In explanation, ... I often use "Dragon" software when posting my drivel, ... and that wily old reptile loves to "stick it to me." with little glitches of that sort.

In that sense, ... and paraphrasing Forrest Gump's Momma, ... "Dragon, is like a box of chocolates, ... you never know what you're going to get".  :P

2 hours ago, DSW said:

Smoothbore, do you have a pict of your set up? I'm just not visualizing it right now.

Good Morning,

I use a pin or round bar (3-4" sticking 90 degrees, above the angle bar), welded to a piece of Angle bar about 6 +/-" long. The angle bar goes over the Vise Jaws, the two pins  are side by side and can be spaced whatever distance you desire, to the width of the jaws of the vise. The angle bar almost acts like a flat working surface. I use any scraps that will fit over the pins to get whatever shape I desire, they don't have to fit tight. K.I.S.S.

Neil