I Forge Iron

Fisher or Trenton

I apologize for this post but my search fu is poor as I am certain this info is on here someplace.  Just getting into smithing and will start off with very small projects to start so I don't need a larger anvil.  A local guy (as in 1/2 mile away) is posting two anvils on Craigslist.  A 105 pound Trenton at $425 and an 80 pound Fisher at $475.  Both in very good condition with no repairs. Both are lighter than what I think I need but it is easy for me to get them.  However, the prices look to be pretty steep based on what I found in other posts.  My question is: which of the two (if either) do I want?

Appreciate any advice.

Edited by DavidP2211

Both are very pricey, and I'd find something more reasonably priced......
But if you have to choose between those two and assuming they are both in the same shape and both have good rebound, the Trenton has 31% more weight for $50 less cash....   That's just a numbers view without seeing pictures or looking at them in person.

Edited by Black Frog

Photos of both.  I will be making small hinges, nails and other iron work necessary for primitive log cabins/barns.  I was pretty sure the prices were obscene and figure that anywhere from maybe $200 to $300 is fair based on pricing from other posts on here.  I am in Western PA and know there are a lot of anvils around.  The Trenton is the bottom photo.

Edited by DavidP2211
clarify which anvil is which

David,

I'm in the same area and saw those ads too. They are way over my budget but anvil prices have been rising rapidly. My guess is there are too many collectors and not enough users so the prices reflect that of an antique rather than a tool. I just watched a 150 LB Hay Budden go for $500. My suggestion is to get connected with a local smithing group (PAABA in your case), go to a meeting and ask around if anyone has an anvil for sale. Those you see on CL will go quickly if they are a good bargain. The other method is to ask everyone you know if they know of any blacksmithing equipment for sale. Good luck with the search.

JME - appreciate the advice.  I found a few local groups and will be wandering through them over the next few months.  A few years ago - I routinely went to equipment auctions and would see good quality ones go for about 50 cents to the pound.  My uncle is an auctioneer in a pretty rural part of western/central PA and he said they come up a few times year and rarely go for more than about $1.50 a pound.  If I didn't need to get a project started, I would hold off till I got one from him. 

ThomasPowers/arftist - thanks again for the help!  Forums like this really help "uneducated consumers" like me from making stupid decisions.

Edited by DavidP2211

Well - guess who is the happy owner of a new (to me) Trenton.  Ended up paying $300 which looks to be a fair price.  He was willing to sell the Fisher for $225 which seemed to be a very fair price as well.  I also totally understand what everyone means when they say a Fisher is quit. The Trenton was in very good shape with just a bit of edge damage so I am good with the deal.  I suspect that the Fisher was the better deal at the price but I really liked the bigger face size of the Trenton as well.