I Forge Iron

1923 Fisher Eagle Anvil 205 lbs ?

I bought a anvil. The title is what I believe it to be. Had to put on bathroom scale. It was around 205 +/-

Here is my question. I paid $500. Delivered. I am in california. Been searching forever for a anvil and I was offered it at that price. He wouldn't budge on price. I had the money of course. Who won on this deal? Needing more piece of mind :)

I just seperated from stand once I got it. Its on a 2 1/2 piece of steel plate 20" diameter. And the bottom base is 1/2" steel plate connected to a metal cylinder that is filled with wood, like a telephone pole segment thats perfectly fitted inside. Came with that hammer head on top of anvil too.

Yes, you bought a FISHER anvil.  There is a date under the heel.  That will tell you the year it was made.  Your pictures are very small, but it appears to be in decent shape, with a lot of life left in it.  For that price, delivered, you did fine.  It has a nice heavy stand.  That is worth something in materials and time too.  Do not worry about who "won".  The seller was happy with the money they got for it, you got a great anvil that will serve you forever.  You both won.

If all you value is the anvil your in it at $2.4390 per pound. I paid around 7.00 for my 275# Ridged

I figure the hammer head is worth $5.00 so now your down to $2.414 per pound

Now that 2.414 Per Pound doesn't include the value of the stand you got with it. with the dim you gave I'll guess the stand to weigh around 365#. add that to the anvil weight and you in at $.877 per pound. Or if you just valued the stand your in at 1.36 Per pound and got a anvil for free.  (that's a nice stand by the way!)

If a ball bearing bounces on the face I would say you got a real good deal!

Russell

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

A few better pics might reveal some horrible problem but otherwise it looks to be in pretty decent condition. For the money, delivered, stand and hammer head I'd say you got a SWEET deal, add to that it's a Fisher. Fishers are top shelf anvils and better yet they're about as quiet as an anvil gets. Good for your ears, good for the wife's and good for the neighbors. Keeping close by ears happy is worth a lot. Good score.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for responding. 

I will try and get a closer picture. BRB. Took pictures of it. I guess thats black paint. Anyone have a good idea how to clean this anvil? Sand blasting? See that crazy 2 1/2 thick 20" diameter plate metal. It weighs more than anvil. And the flat base is 1/2" thick 34" diameter

I seen the fisher covered in paint.

Don't worry about paint, lots of anvils came painted from the manufacturer. Besides it's protecting it. It's hard to see but is part of the face behind the hardy hole broken or missing? It could be the picture itself, the angle from behind the heal looks okay. I can only enlarge them so far before res goes to pot.

Frosty The Lucky.

The face is intact. But there is a big nick in the front corner close to the horn. But all in all the face plate seems flat and pretty smooth. I think it was yard art for a while. I am in the high desert. Alot of things on display up here.

I recently picked up alot of hammers of variety. Im still trying to figure out what they each are used for. The hammer that came with the Anvil is a Atha which I hear is good or ok. I picked up a heller, warren, plumb, and few other names. Some tongs etc... Seems I can't really plan what I find. But I am picking things up pretty steady. I have a guy coming tomorrow and delivering a old forge with blower. Royal Western Chief Blacksmith Blower Rustic forge. Anyone know anything about this?

Welcome to IFI! I too I'm from CA but on the other side of the hill from you. I have two nice Fishers and really like using them! I know you'll find that out yourself once you put hot iron to it. 

Everybody is so concerned about the price they paid because other people found a great deal somewhere or somewhen. If the anvil is in decent shape and has not lost its temper due to a fire(I have one of those) BE HAPPY WITH IT! It will be the corner stone of many hours of happiness and some frustration but overall you will benifet from it. 

I don't know exactly where you live but if you could look into the CBA's web page (California Blacksmith Assocoation) and see if there's any groups in your area to work with. 

If you put your general location in the header you'll find out there are a LOT of folk here within visiting distance. The CBA is a great organization, meet up with the guys, you'll learn more in an hour with an experienced smith than you will in days on your own.

I grew up in Sylmar, just FYI.

Frosty The Lucky.

Your anvil was made in 1923 in Trenton, NJ.  The pictures are small, but it looks to be in good shape.  You got a great deal. Figure the stand alone is worth $200+, so you got the anvil for a great price. 

Enjoy it, and use it.  It will outlast you and several generations if you take care of it.  You can leave the paint on the sides, just wire wheel the face.  Leave a motor oil soaked towel on the top when not in use to prevent rusting.  Hammer away.

I thought of making a different stand for the anvil. And using the round heavy plate for something else.Maybe a big anvil type striking surface...no clue really. But my mind is working on something....Loving the anvil more and more....