I Forge Iron

Bayonet handle needs blade

stan

Stan, did you buy it at a swapmeet? I've seen pictures of bayonet handles being used as gearknobs on hotrods. That would perhaps explain the notch, which I doubt is an original feature. Sure looks like a three-oh bayonet to me. I remember the old ones as being very long (the 17" blade that you mention). The SAF Museum here ( http://www.lithgowsafmuseum.org.au/index.html ) describes them as a 'sword bayonet'.

I have a Lithgow FN bayonet, but that's another thing altogether.

-Phil (in Lithgow)

​Hello Phil I bought the handle for a secondhand shop he also had a complete one he said was alight horseman bayonet with the hook guard with he wanted $700 for.I must get back to that bayonet handle project sometime still not sure how to do the hollow along the blade.I agree about the notch why would they weaken it at that point. 

Fuller then grind an old file to fit the profile, mount in a handle that fallows the spine and scrape it out. Sand to finish. If your going to the trouble might as well use spring or some other knife worthy steel.

​Thanks Charles,I have an old tier iron which should be good steel.I put a picture earlier in this topic.

Finale Bayonet handle gets a blade!  I must say that after seeing the quality of workmanship of some of the knifes and swords on IFI I was a bit worried about this project:(.The blade is silver soldered to the handle using blue tip, in the end I  thought its only a wall hanger and no weld type is going to give it original strength anyway.The tyre lever or iron is great steel to work with I will be on the look out for more of them.

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

• 3 months later...