I Forge Iron

Old fullers?

Those are hammers. I don't know if or for what they are specially designed for so I'd just have to take them to hot steel and see. I certainly wouldn't hit them with another hammer, that can turn out B_A_D.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Stan,

I am with Frosty on the no hit ...  I would keep them and use them for forming sheet metal on sand bags or soft media. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

​Hi Jim, so they may not be for forging at all.Anyway there good tools they won`t be getting hit.

A quick mooch trying out my google-fu and I found the "Joe" brand was registered in 1922, the company was dissolved in 1976.

They made all manner of agricultural and industrial hand tools including tools for the military during WW2.

As to why they folded. I haven't found any records but can I speculate based on known data:

During the early 1970's English (and the rest of the UK) manufacturing was severely hampered by the Coal Miner's strikes, 3 day (working) weeks were introduced. Coal was the lifeblood of the UK without it there was no electricity, all available coal was used in power generation. No coal, no hot iron. (Coal miners were striking over pay and conditions, both of which were very poor at the time.)

Then came the drought in the UK, no water, heavy industry was curtailed due to fire risk, no water for the fire brigade to fight a blaze. 

Add to that a Banking crisis at the start of the decade and you can see how a manufacturer can become stressed and stretched to eventually become insolvent.

A quick mooch trying out my google-fu and I found the "Joe" brand was registered in 1922, the company was dissolved in 1976.

They made all manner of agricultural and industrial hand tools including tools for the military during WW2.

As to why they folded. I haven't found any records but can I speculate based on known data:

During the early 1970's English (and the rest of the UK) manufacturing was severely hampered by the Coal Miner's strikes, 3 day (working) weeks were introduced. Coal was the lifeblood of the UK without it there was no electricity, all available coal was used in power generation. No coal, no hot iron. (Coal miners were striking over pay and conditions, both of which were very poor at the time.)

Then came the drought in the UK, no water, heavy industry was curtailed due to fire risk, no water for the fire brigade to fight a blaze. 

Add to that a Banking crisis at the start of the decade and you can see how a manufacturer can become stressed and stretched to eventually become insolvent.

​Hi Carl thanks for the research, interesting, by the way my old man was born in Horbury.

Horbury, so he's a Wezzy ;) ( Wezzy - West Yorkshire folk - sometimes called comforts, because when they visit the East Coast holiday towns they Come for't weekend/week :D )

My pleasure to do the research, not heard of the Joe brand and wanted to know for myself too.

Something like a stone or coal breaking hammer?

If it was for sheet metal forming I think it would probably have two different radii peens.

Alan

​Hi Allan Its a bit of a mystery did not meet the guy who sold them but I think he might have been a farrier.Everyone says there hammers but the eyes are round not oval, Think the heads would twist on the handle.

I have a couple round eyed hammers with the same round steel "wedges". I don't think any moved on me but they're not my main go to hammers. If I think about it I'll put one on the rack and put a story mark in the eye to see.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, if you put things "in the eye" you don't see too good :D 

I have some similar hammer heads lying around and have thought about using them as stock to re-forge but never quite got round to doing so, they seem quite hard so striking them might make 'for interesting' ( read downright dangerous) times! 

Right you are Ian, I should've polled you before saying that huh?

A funny thing, probably 30 years ago there were a few "close out" tool stores in Anchorage and the one nearest me took a liking to me. I'll skip that long story. I used to get pretty good discounts from them because they liked me and I ended up with a "set" of Chinese hammers to "test" for them. Basically square, flat faced blocks of steel on handles from 500gm to 2,000gm. They made really nice plannishing hammers if I was really careful of the edges. I was going to try forging one into something else but haven't.

The point of all that is these hammers are some kind of hard/tough steel, a file will skate on them but they don't chip, even smacked together. I don't know what they are but they're pretty darned sweet CHEAP hammers. Too bad they aren't consistent on still like that. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

type "stone breaking hammer" into Google ad look at the images that come up…I just did, looks fairly convincing…or at least a lot of other people (manufacturers included) are making the same mistake!

Alan

​See what you mean, some even have round eyes you seam to have hit the nail on the head.Sounds like hard labour.

I remembered that my very posh Great Aunt had one in her coal cellar in Bristol….probably stuck in my mind for 60 odd years because I also remember leaving black footprints across her white carpet having gone into the cellar exploring when we stayed with her one Christmas….oh! How all the adults laughed! :(

Alan