I Forge Iron

Steel recommendation for meat cleaver

I've got a customer wanting a hefty meat cleaver to use on hog carcasses. He specifically wants a stainless steel cleaver so that cuts the list by a large amount.

I'm not sure 440C will have the edge holding ability for this application but its a good reasonable option. any recommendations?

440C will hold an edge just fine if you sharpen it properly. It's going to take a heavy beating in normal use so you can NOT hollow grind it or the edge will roll right away. You want to give it a convex bevel to take the forces involved. If you use a belt grinder slack belt it GENTLY. A convex bevel leaves meat behind the edge to absorb and resist forces even at off angles. Think axe edge, even a filed edge is convex. sharpened on a wheel grinder and an axe's edge dulls very quickly, often just rolls over.

440C convex bevel is my preference for a SS cleaver. However, I'm not a bladesmith guy but I use the things a LOT. Of course I could be wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

440C will hold an edge just fine if you sharpen it properly. It's going to take a heavy beating in normal use so you can NOT hollow grind it or the edge will roll right away. You want to give it a convex bevel to take the forces involved. If you use a belt grinder slack belt it GENTLY. A convex bevel leaves meat behind the edge to absorb and resist forces even at off angles. Think axe edge, even a filed edge is convex. sharpened on a wheel grinder and an axe's edge dulls very quickly, often just rolls over.

440C convex bevel is my preference for a SS cleaver. However, I'm not a bladesmith guy but I use the things a LOT. Of course I could be wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.