I Forge Iron

The repurposing thread

Matt Marti

• 7 months later...

I had some left over 1/4" steel ao I cut out a square and dropped it down about 2". Added a tweener I bought from an old smith in Simms Montana-he got it from his great grandfather who brought it up in the 1880's from down south some where. I salvaged the legs from a Davis & Wells table saw I found at the scrap yard. 

20160525_165205.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I work for an electrical contractor.  Often we have remodel projects that require a lot of circuit breakers.  Manufacturers charge substantially more for individual breakers than they do for a completely factory assembled panel with those breakers.  We order a panel full of the breakers we need, and the panel "tub" along with the copper bussing get's thrown in the warehouse.

A standard commercial panel tub is galvanized and nicely held together.  I've used them to make shop tables, and I recently repurposed one for my "fire pig" side blast forge so it holds the sand/ash like a sandbox.  If you leave the sides intact, they're really stiff and can support a surprising amount of weight without any trouble.