I Forge Iron

Ebay for tools

KevinD

How do you shop Ebay?

This morning I went to Ebay Home> Buy> Collectibles> Tools, Hardware & Locks> Tools> Blacksmithing and narrowed it down more by choosing "buy it now" and then "newly listed" and came up with a list of tongs a couple of pages long for $10.00 each.

I bought 3 pair and sent a request for an invoice with combined shipping. :D

The seller is 69chuck69auctioneer. Currently they have 5441 items listed so finding the tongs might be kinda hard...

How do you shop Ebay?

I don't. I find all I need locally and a lot cheaper; my rule is to not pay more than $5 for a set of tongs and that's with No Shipping. Actually the last 8 pairs of tongs I have got were free. Folks know that I smith and just give them to me. Helps a lot out here were smithing stuff is rare and expensive.

Never bought a pair of tongs before. Made all but one pair myself, the other pair was made on my workstation at a hammer-in and the smith gave them to me when he was done. Have a hard time paying money for something that I can make myself and improve my skills while making...

Okay, I'll let everyone in on a trick of mine for searching on eBay. I may be shunned by the tool hoarders and collectors for revealing this.

Never search for the item you want, instead, search for items that the seller doesn't know what they are selling.

Try search terms like, for example:

Unusual Hammer, Hammer ?, weird plier, smithing tool, unique tool, unique hammer, strange hammer, mystery tool, strange tool, unknown type tool, odd tool, odd hammer, etc.

You will be surprised what you come back with, usually several of the returned results will be blacksmithing related, as many sellers are just not educated on the item when they sell it.

However, take this advice to the bank: Many times, the tools will be exactly what you think, and of good quality. However, there will always be a percentage of "antique" and "vintage" tools that will be unusable from previous use and damage. They will end up as "wallhangers" after the buyer figures out they just won't cut it anymore as a user. Test the edges of any cutting tool for hardness and temper. Many old tools have been annealed from use without cooling, or came from a burned out barn or shed and cleaned up. They will be damaged with use if not re-hardened and tempered.

I say this from experience, your mileage may vary.

aaron c.

Ebay tools: yeh I did that a couple times. Mostly for Atha stuff (one of my vices... Love them old Atha's!) I've had better luck lately on Machinists tools as opposed to blacksmith tools though (since my blacksmith hobby is somehow becoming an antique machine collection/use hobby). Got a decent deal on the drill press (yeh, THAT one), a real decent price on my new shaper, and a steal on an old williams toolholder for the shaper (the type that holds the bit parallel to the tool holder instead of angled). Also ended up with a few 5/8 square HSS bits, NOS, for about half what the local place wanted for them new. So yeh, if the price is right, I'll ebay it.
-Aaron @ the SCF

I got one really nice blower off eBay. Paid slightly less than premium price for it.

I got another one at a real bargain price. It's a piece of junk.

I have learned to appreciate hands-on buying. You know what you're getting. And like Bog said, the shipping is a lot cheaper.

My $.02

Don

The worst part about Ebay is people are bidding up the price...I often wonder if the seller, or one of his buds, is not logged in bidding up the price in order to make more. You really get that feeling when you receive a second chance offer after bidding closes.

I got one really nice blower off eBay. Paid slightly less than premium price for it.

I got another one at a real bargain price. It's a piece of junk.

I have learned to appreciate hands-on buying. You know what you're getting. And like Bog said, the shipping is a lot cheaper.

My $.02

Don

I got a good blower from e-bay also, where in East Tennessee are you?

The tongs I bought today were described as being "cast iron" ;) :cool: :D

Do the actually make cast iron blacksmith tongs?:confused: i mean those could break even if you smack the iron you're holding harder than usual ..

i'm not sure about the quality ..

In fact . .in the future. .run from cast iron products . ..( except for floor mandrel cones)

The worst part about Ebay is people are bidding up the price...I often wonder if the seller, or one of his buds, is not logged in bidding up the price in order to make more. You really get that feeling when you receive a second chance offer after bidding closes.
I've never gotten a second chance offer. I guess they weren't willing to take what I was willing to pay...:cool:

Do the actually make cast iron blacksmith tongs?:confused: i mean those could break even if you smack the iron you're holding harder than usual ..

i'm not sure about the quality ..

In fact . .in the future. .run from cast iron products . ..( except for floor mandrel cones)
I don't think the seller knows the difference between cast and wrought. If I'm wrong and they are cast then I'm out $45.00 and lesson learned.

Did you look at the pictures? :)

I've bought a lot of stuff on ebay. Some times I got a deal, and sometimes I got took. I will never buy an anvil on ebay again. For what they are going for on ebay for broke down worn out junk I will buy a new one when I am ready for a bigger anvil.

I have gotten a nice hand crank blower for $80 plus 40 shipping, and a nice 5" post vice for about the same. I also bought a power hammer that has been lots of fun rebuilding and using. I drove 900 miles ro pick it up.

The key with ebay is figuring out your price and not going over it. I let a lot of auctions go. Don't get sucked into the bidding wars.