I Forge Iron

House numbers

Meant to do this project for a while now. Weekend got away from me and only had an hour or so at the gas forge before dinner. Started with 1/4 inch square.   First #5 came out great, bending the first two corners around the heel of the anvil (104 lb. PW) on all three #5's to keep them consistent, then trying a Habermann bend on the corners.  Couldn't get the gas forge up to welding heat, so the zero is just lapped with the nail hole going through the overlap.

Getting 3 numbers all roughly the same, easier than expected.

Getting 4 numbers red hot on the anvil for a picture,not so much.

post-182-0-19542800-1424308349_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-88704900-1424308372_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-00008000-1424308404_thumb.jpg

It is awesome that you were so consistent without jigs or anything, i'm impressed! i got contacted by a consignment gallery to make house numbers for them to sell, not what i would have done of my own accord, but it is what they asked for! Sorry that it is so far away, i know it will be difficult to see any detail.

IMG_2661.JPG

Kegan, zoom makes it very viewable, nice embellishment on the #8 especially.

as to jigs, I did use a bending fork in the anvil to bend the bottom curve of the five, but that was about  going thru the same motions repeatedly to try and get consistency. I did all the 5's first, then the zero

Thinking that house numbers might make good, USPS mailable gifts for far off family members, though I should google street view their addresses to see just how cheesy their current house numbers are.

Edited by Michael