I Forge Iron

Hello from Montana

Jesse17

Hello! I've lurked on here for a while. Finally signed up and posted for the first time a few days ago. I didn't see this section before, so forgive me for the delayed introduction.

I've been SLOWLY getting into knife making through material removal over the last two years. I've thought about building a forge, but it seemed like to big of a project, and didn't know if I would like forging. Then about a month ago a journeyman bladesmith invited me to his shop to forge a blade. It was and awesome learning experience, and getting to see his forge up close instead of just seeing stuff on the internet, motivated me to build one.

Ironically, I see general blacksmithing being more immediately gratifying than knife making because you don't have to spend a week sanding the project after the fun part is over.

Right now I'm having a ball playing around with it. I don't plan on it becoming a career, but there is a craft show in town here at Thanksgiving. I have set a goal to have enough finished items to rent a table there this year. Maybe I can at least pay for a tool or two. :)

Anyhow, thanks for having me, and I look forward to leeching ah learning all I can from y'all!

Really...so am I! We'll have to get together and forge something. I am working on setting up my shop as we just moved here.

Yeah, that sounds great. I'm just in the process of retooling my shop from a woodworking/storage shed to a woodworking/blacksmith shop. So I don't have much. Just a forge I built but am not finished with yet, an anvil I got off ebay and a couple hammers. I'm hoping to get a set of tongs made in the next couple days.

0209151620b_zps7vzvawkr.jpg

0124151721a-1_zpsnv8huwjx.jpg

Good to see an intro Jesse, I've been reading posts from you so I don't think my usual welcome is necessary heck you even have your location in the header. NO fun at all but what the hey, welcome aboard, glad to have you.

I think you'll learn the craft faster learning general smithing before you take up blades. It's not as risky and doesn't hurt as much if you lose a coat hook, pair of tongs, etc. Tongs are good beginner's projects, lots of different processes and tools are important. It's hard to beat using a tool you made with your own hands. It's also hard to have too many tongs.

Frosty The Lucky.