I Forge Iron

Hood for charcoal forge?

Greetings Mad,

I suggest you do a little research on hoods on this forum.  There are many examples of great hoods and methods of smoke removal and one that just might fit your space....   If it looks like a wheel barrow .... its a wheel barrow...    Just my 2c

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

look into a side sucker hood; they work the same for coal or charcoal; getting the proper diameter chimney is VERY important; as you live in Antarctica you will not have to worry about spark arrestors or rain.

Depending on what you do you may even be able to inclose the fire area with a barrel with openings on opposite sides to put work through.

Use a wheelbarrow *HOW*???   as a hood horizontally over the fire?  Terrible method!  Side sucker is much more efficient!

However to answer your first post: Yes, Yes. 

It dosnt need to be expensive, the "side sucker" or hoffie style is simply a 12"x 12" box, extending threw the wall with a 12' stack going up 3" above the highest point on the roof.
A box or bucket with a hole cut in the side seting next the fire, with a 12' stack going threw the roof works just as well, just cut the hole just about the same square inches as the stack (go smaller and increase till it draws good) going ober the top of the fire makes it hard to see what your doing and get od shapes in the fire. Not to mention it just dosnt seem to draw as well

Smoke is smoke. The heat from your fire wants to go up, you give it a conveiniant place to go and it will take the smoke with it (and a big gulp of room air with it) some times a wad of pater burt in the stack is neede to get things going. Somthing as simple as 12" ac duct with a 90 degree bend will work to get the smoke away from you, or a 5 gallon steel pail with a hole cut in the side and 12" ac duct coming out the top.
Search IfI for "side draft hood" look in the uri hoffie bluprints ans such.
The big differences with charcoal and coal are the mass and cleanliness of the fuels (and cokeing, charcoal is "coked" wood) they bothe generate the same amout if heat pound for pound. And generate smoke and hot air.

Note that the side sucker is different than the Hofi variant of  it goes straight up from the box.  Hofi's works when you don't want to put holes in your roof.  My side wall was made from a hail damaged metal roof that conveniently had a large hole where the house's wood stove came through. I just stuck a 10" spiral seamed duct out the hole at a steep  angle and it will sing with a good fire!