I Forge Iron

Tire hammer motor

Hey y'all!!!!!

MY POWER HAMMER WILL  BE FINISHED SOON!!!!!!!

I ended up finding a Mennonite blacksmith just down the road, and he actually makes power hammers.  I worked out a deal where we traded blacksmithing tools in exchange for finishing my hammer.

It should be finished this week, and now I am looking for a motor to put on it.  I found one that I like, but I'm not sure if it will work.   Could any one tell me if it would?

post-1-0-08349400-1421566493_thumb.jpg

Drip-proof design prevents water and other contaminants from entering the machine
Steel frame with ball bearing construction and a rigid base for secure mounting
Wired for counter clockwise rotation
60 Hz, 3,450 rated RPM
Delivers up to 15 Amps @ 120V; 7.5 Amps @ 240V

Thanks!!!! God bless!!

Chase & Holly Saxton

What's the hammer's maker say? I know we're a veritable bottomless font of information and experience but he's the guy who makes them.

I'd be plenty happy with a 2 hp. motor on my 50lb. LG I'd have to slow it to 1728 from the git go but that's not a problem, just gearing. (pullies)

Frosty The Lucky.

What kind of hammer?  What ram weight?

If it's a 50lb tire hammer like the Clay Spencer design then a 1 horse 1750rpm is all you need.  After running a quick weld and brace on the motor to keep the light duty spot welds on the base from breaking off.

I think the OP missed some of the details:

"This Ironton single phase 120/240V, 2 HP compressor motor with capacitor start design is ideal for use on compressors, pumps, pressure washers and other clean and dry applications that require a high starting torque."

Copied from: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200580992_200580992

It looks like it's an Open Drip Proof design: only offers protection from vertically-falling drips.

I'd pass.

A 1725 rpm motor will be a lot easier to get timed right. A 3400 is a bit fast and if you do use it, would be best used with a jackshaft that splits the speed in half. The difference in cost between a 1700 and a 3400 rpm motor is actually less than the extra pulleys and bearings needed for a jackshaft. A 50# will run fine on a 1 1/2hp and ok on a one (tad underpowered but will work). for a 100 you will want at least a 2 and 3 is even better. My 100 runs on a 5 but I happened to have a brand new(still in the box)  5hp marathon 1725 rpm single phase motor on the shelf when the hammer came into the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of hammer?  What ram weight?

If it's a 50lb tire hammer like the Clay Spencer design then a 1 horse 1750rpm is all you need.  After running a quick weld and brace on the motor to keep the light duty spot welds on the base from breaking off.

It is a "Sam Stoner" style tire hammer.  Sam Stoner is a local Mennonite blacksmith that I have recently become friends with.  He operates his entire shop from 2 horses walking on a treadmill that turns a shaft through his entire shop.  It is amazing to see, and so is his work!!!!   

Anyway's he also makes his own style power hammer. He started off with the Clay Spencer style power hammer, and wasn't extremely impressed with it.  So after he was finished designing his own, the head has 10Lbs more weight, and a full inch of more stroke.

I will post photo's of it when I get it.

I had a 1HP motor, but Sam said that it needed to at least needed to be 1.5- 2 HP (he said 2 would be best if I could afford it).