I Forge Iron

Tell us your 'don't do that again' moments

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worked at a local exhaust automotive shop in the mid 80s and the whole shop was plumbed with Oxy Acetylene for welding exhaust systems together and for cutting old systems out. Typically when removing an old exhaust system you would torch cut all the hangers then cut the pipe towards the front of the vehicle at which point the system would hang on the rear axle.
Making the final cut and instead of it sliding away from me the hot cut end punches me mid chest and leaves a nice cauterized cut requiring 10 or so stitches. Wasn't too bad til the doc had to probe with his finger to make sure there were no punchures into the chest cavity.
Of course with the O/A welding overhead we had plenty of sparks, pops and little hot pieces going where you didn't want them to! My favorite was when it went in your ear and as you quickly shook your head you could hear it sizzle

Well I wont try to heat the coil springs on my 63 riviera just to lower it a little . LOL live and learn . Once you heat them up that baby drops right on the bump stops a jack stand may have worked . heck that was 30 years ago the right way is take them off and cut one coil at a time .

In high school I was tig welding, using a piece of filler rod. Got done running my bead and went to flip my helmet up. The end of the filler rod was still at an orange heat when I pulled it out of my neck and inch to the side of my wind pipe. Won't be doing that again any time soon.
~The Mad Rabbit

Similar to that, in high school when I was still learning to weld and before I learned to feed filler wire through my fingers, I used to bump the wire against my chest or stomach to get my hand where I wanted it before I started a new bead....until I bumped the wrong end off my stomach and burned a nice hole in me.  I only made that mistake once  <_< .

When I was at Doncaster working for IH just before Case bought us, a lad I was working with was setting up a vertical broach.

He had the broach at its top point when one of the cutters slipped out of its coupling, by reflex he tried to catch it.

The 40lb broaching cutter dropping at speed was half way through his hands before he let go.

His hands were ripped to shreds and was a month or so before he was back at work.

I'm reminded of my multi meters.

Reminded me of something I saw as a teenage kid. Wasn't my fault, but I helped. :)

AC repair guy was at our house, our AC unit was blowing the breaker and not running. So the repair guy hooked his brand new 10amp multimeter in series with the motor and told me to run inside and switch on the breaker so he could see how much current it was drawing.... It had been tripping the 30AMP breaker... So I trotted inside, flipped the 30 amp breaker, and it tripped almost instantly, I walked back outside to a very VERY sad looking electrician looking at the smoking ruins of his brand new multimeter... We both learned a lesson that day.