I Forge Iron

Bohler K990

ianinsa

Just before Christmas I visited a friend's scrapyard where he had a pile of 3' x 2' bars all 2meters long I thought at the time that I would probably find a use for them. So I bought and loaded them. In passing he told me that he had chopped some up in his cropper and that they did not cut "nicely" my reply was that i'd probably use them as a grizzly and cut them with the plasma so no biggie.

I get home and we powerwash them off, to stick in the steel racks and lo and behold they are all marked Bohler K990 .

I got this lot 2300lbs at $0.5/lb I think that counts as a good deal? :)

Hi Ianinsa,

This being a family friendly forum I can't tell you what I think about this kind of luck.  :)

Bohler K990 is equivalent of AISI W1. Cold work tool steel with 1,05 points of Carbon in it. Its strong side is good toughness and machinability.

Can't attach the PDF document, but you can check and save the complete data sheet in German and English here:

http://www.bohler.at/deutsch/files/downloads/K990DE.pdf

Those really are big pieces of steel but it's really better having problems with existing stock as with the non-existing.

Happy hammering!

Gergely

Edit: I did attach the pdf somehow.

K990DE.pdf

Yea, yea 50mm x 75mm and there I was trying (and failing) to simplify it for some :) my bad. Thanks for the PDF Gergely, but I have used this produced before for guillotine blades. Great product but *+@# spendy direct from Bohler . Thomas, I don't know but I have enough to play with :)

Do you know if this alloy is a good one for doing the differential hardening like the japanese blades?

C 1,03  Si 0,17  Mn 0,22  P 0,014  S 0,012  Cr 0,07  Mo 0,01  Ni 0,10   Cu 0,14

Looking at these spec's from the PDF,  it seems the steel is clean enough to promote a good hamon, try and let us know.

Steve,I don't make knives, despite the effort put in by John E. Dragging me kicking and screaming(ok grinning like a Cheshire cat) to the dark side.

I've tried to stay away as I can see just how addictive(and massive fun) it can be. And every time I see another of John's masterpieces I take another leap towards that chasm .  

Yea, yea 50mm x 75mm and there I was trying (and failing) to simplify it for some :) my bad. Thanks for the PDF Gergely, but I have used this produced before for guillotine blades. Great product but *+@# spendy direct from Bohler . Thomas, I don't know but I have enough to play with :)

My pleasure.

If I simplified ( :)) correctly backwards to my understanding: you own now one ton of this stuff. That's enough for some guillotine blades, even the French style...

But seriously any idea what will you do with it? 

Bests

Gergely

@ loneforge , I like the look of your knives but no need to swop if you pop over I'll  give you what you can carry, just saying :)

@ Jacques if you want some just pm me, alternatively you could come over early in February and use my 200kg de Moor power hammer or my filling mill ? I also plan to have the latest version of a rolling mill by then.