I Forge Iron

Progress On My New 12'x16' Shop / Pole Barn

Check with your lumberyards for the price of other sidings, such as 1x12 barn siding and such. Might find that ship lap or something is even cheaper. Ship lap would eliminate the horizontals and as its post in ground, racking isn't a big issue. Board usually costs less than ply. I'm of the "don't deal with a shyster" theory myself. Salvaged tin and such works well for siding, where it sucks for roofs even fence panels work for sheds. You do have to add either to the top or bottom (or both, say dry laid stone at the bottom, and fur out the top to over lap pieces. Dad always said it either cost you more money or more time. As I have time i tend to go with labor intensive low cash ideas.

I've been there, Charles.  Why do you think I have a brake drum for a firepot instead of a $$$ cast iron beauty.... ;)

I love scrounging for stuff both fiscally and for the pleasure of it.  Never know what you can come up with!

Hey guys -- sorry I'm just now seeing this. I'll upload the plans/layout as soon as I get back to my computer.

@D H B -- PM me your number or a way I can find you on FB or something. I'm tied up with work and disc golf for a few weeks but I'd be glad to have you over if you want to take a look.

• 1 year later...
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 8:50 PM, arkie said:

My projects seem to cost me BOTH more money and more time!!!!!!  I'll figger it out someday

When you figure this out please tell the government they haven't been able to with 1,000s of engineers working on it ;) you know that just might be the reason why. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Appreciate this thread, it provided the basic inspiration for a shop I'm going to start this week after I lucked into a pile of galvanized steel roofing at Lowes for $3 a sheet plus some deeply discounted trim/facia and screws to go with it, putting the project firmly within my budget.

I'll start my own design-build thread for that project but wanted to say thanks again for getting the wheels turning, your photos and the various responses in this thread with tips/advice really helped kick my brain into action by solving a lot of the how/what/if's I was stuck on with my own design concept.