I Forge Iron

Casting Mould or Furnace or something else

Looks like a small coal fernace for small castings, its missing the grate and of corse the crusible. Not an uncomen peice of aperatuse a 100 years ago or less.

Looks like a small coal furnace for small castings, it is missing the grate and of course the crucible. Not an uncommon piece of apparatus 100 years ago or less. -- translation by Bing --

How about another picture with a ruler in it so we can get a handle on the size. At first glance intuition says it's a small furnace of some sort. With a crucible inserted it could be packed with charcoal for the melt.

If nothing else, a little grate, some charcoal and it'd be a pretty neat BBQ grill/mini smoker.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have long exepted the fact that my spelling is atrocious, Ian. Spell check helps, but short of google nothing can catch every misspelling, much less my type "O"s accasinaly Glenn or another of the moderators will come along behind me and clean up my mess (much appretiated). But if I'm so proud I cant laugh at my self i would simply be a fool. And I appreciate a good man or woman who likes me enugh to poke a bit of fun at me, and share a laugh.

Charles, I have one of those surface(windows 8.1) tablets and sometimes it's flipping frustrating when it "fixes'" what you want to say! ie it won't accept that tig is what you want and keeps changing it to tug so you have to keep "fixing" it. Otherwise it's very good especially the predictive text.

BTW. I don't think most of us care about 'how' you put your point across it's the 'what' that counts! And you seem to have good 'what' my friend.

Rainbows, i have a copy of "Metalworking" by Paul N. Hasluck. In it he shows plans for, and descuses small ferneses for casting. I realy looks the sort. Withe the adition of a telescoping chiminy to increase draft small castings, such as jewlry and hardwar are well with in its capabilitys, do bolt it down, hot coals and molten metal spilling as you upset it opening the top would be very bad as Frosty would say hell on earth"

I have long exepted the fact that my spelling is atrocious, Ian. Spell check helps, but short of google nothing can catch every misspelling, much less my type "O"s accasinaly Glenn or another of the moderators will come along behind me and clean up my mess (much appretiated). But if I'm so proud I cant laugh at my self i would simply be a fool. And I appreciate a good man or woman who likes me enugh to poke a bit of fun at me, and share a laugh.

You're spelling is bad Charles!? Here I thought you were just a really creative thinker.

I have spell check shut down to only Show my mistakes and the grammar, etc. checkers are shut off as completely as possible. Unfortunately every time Windoz "upgrades" it reactivates the stupid things as well as downloading and trying to install a bunch of dross I do NOT want. Yeah, I have it set to need my permission to upload and install stuff but I think if you pay Micro$oft enough they'll get around that for you.

Most software upgrades now days are marketing tools to track what you do, where you go, etc. so someone can sell you things. If you don't want every marketing hack on earth to know it, don't put in on a computer that goes online.

Frosty The Lucky.

Rainbows, i have a copy of "Metalworking" by Paul N. Hasluck. In it he shows plans for, and descuses small ferneses for casting. I realy looks the sort. Withe the adition of a telescoping chiminy to increase draft small castings, such as jewlry and hardwar are well with in its capabilitys, do bolt it down, hot coals and molten metal spilling as you upset it opening the top would be very bad as Frosty would say hell on earth"

"Metalworking: Tools, Materials, and Processes for the Handyman"?

Found a pdf of it and while there are a few furnaces described none at the start of the book look much like this one. They are all tubular going upwards rather than horizontally or made of brick.

edit: Don't know why the  font has gone blue