I Forge Iron

rasp door handle

Might I suggest that you turn it upside down and get the point to ... point upwards. Two reasons :

1. I believe the point, the clue as named by Ausfire would be more readily visible;
  2. if I read Plummer well (Colonial wrought Iron, the Sorber Collection), figure 4-74 for instance and I am quite sure I saw the same thing in Sonn, when there is only one decoration it is facing upwards.

I am quite aware that you are holding it for the pic. Just mentioning for when you will install it.

Have a good day ... or is it night,

Yves

The handle has a traditional shape to the bow, but the cusps are too plain to be period. Most of the colonial pattern handles had matching cusps, or rarely an elaborately decorated cusp at the top and a pointy cusp at the bottom. Many people pick the handle up and put the point on the top, even though the bow to the handle should indicate that the handle should go the other way.  The holes were punch and then drifted square to take a 3/8" carriage bolt, that was how they were mounted to my old 2x6 shop doors back at the farm in Attica.  With the handle through bolted it is sturdy enough, unless it is mounted on a slider instead of a hinged door.  If I make more I suppose I could punch the cusps for 3 1/2 20 carriage bolts.  The texture of the rasp gives it a very interesting visual appeal, and I like making things out of rasps, other than snakes;-) and I have lots of them...