I Forge Iron

"When it feels like my work isn't good enough"

Jacques

Like everybody else I tend to worry about the quality of my blacksmithing, but James Clear has a great way of making me feel better.

The complete post is here.

“When we plant a rose seed in the earth, we notice that it is small, but we do not criticize it as “rootless and stemless.” We treat it as a seed, giving it the water and nourishment required of a seed. When it first shoots up out of the earth, we don’t condemn it as immature and underdeveloped; nor do we criticize the buds for not being open when they appear. We stand in wonder at the process taking place and give the plant the care it needs at each stage of its development. The rose is a rose from the time it is a seed to the time it dies. Within it, at all times, it contains its whole potential. It seems to be constantly in the process of change; yet at each state, at each moment, it is perfectly all right as it is.”
—Timothy Gallwey

I keep reminding myself that smithing is an iterative process; from the multiple heats necessary for working; to the multiple passes with a file, to the "throw that one away and start over".

I have my first smithed blade hidden away and every time I feel down about where I'm at I take a look at it and realize how far I have come!

I was once tasked with the responsibility of training a young guy how to do his job. It did not go well. He had no drive to excel. At the time I had a sign reading   " If all else fails lower your standards"   I put it up between our work stations as a joke and a prod. That didn't work either when a customer saw it. However over the years I trained many young guys. Some made it and some didn't.

The dilemma is in your personal drive to excel.  A rose will grow to its maximum historical potential, A human can drive him/her self beyond historical background.   Jackues I enjoyed your read very interesting