I Forge Iron

Tool makers anvil

Well I won this anvil on ebay.....

Toolmakers anvil as used by sheffield bladesmiths etc described as a 500lber.....I can only hope so!!

anyhow been on the lookout for one of these for ages.

May take a trip to Yorkshire to get it.

15453843809_d6d790ae51_c.jpg

That is awesome! Are the cut outs to slide bottom tools into? I can see how this would be a better setup for bottom tools than placing them in a hardy hole..... More mass under the tooling..... You could also slide chunks of lead into the cut outs and make files pretty easily! Nice score and beautiful anvil

• 8 months later...

Could it be for additional swages that need to be parallel to the rest of the work surface? 

I couldn't imagine that.  With such a weak tie-in with the main body, even wrought iron would deform if you did anything more than the lightest hammering.  Something like a twisting fork would work in that little shelf, but anything that required serious hammering, like a bottom tool, would quickly ruin the little shelf.  Definitely an unusual protuberance.

Beautiful tooling, Basher.  It's great to see the old girl back in action after all these years!