I Forge Iron

A couple of anvils I've made

Hi all, here's a couple of anvils I've forged. Both started out roughly as a cube of material. Can't remember the smaller one, but the larger was a 3" cube of 4140.

Working on a French "pig" now-the feet however will be forge welded on. The next larger American pattern I make will be 10-14 pounds and will also be forge welded at the waist. With the addition of a (much) larger power hammer this fall, I plan to make these up to 30 pounds or so.

The larger of the two is 5.25 pounds and the smaller is 1.5 pounds.

post-2151-0-51525300-1412952187_thumb.jp

post-2151-0-16661600-1412952331_thumb.jp

Greetings A.J.

A thing of beauty... The details for sure are and example of the quality and craftsmanship that you do so well..   Most smiths that I know scan the internet and C.L. and are quite successful finding great anvils ... You just make them...  

They are just the right size for me to feel comfortable applying for the striker job at your forge.. I will need of course the correct size hammer to work with sized to fit your new anvils...   Keep on swingin....

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks all for the kind words. Been having an awful lot of fun making these. I'm learning a lot more about the forging process too, especially as it relates to manipulation of material under a power hammer. Forging an anvil, the material is drawn, stretched, upset, fullered...in every plane, and the material changes quite drastically, at least compared to a hammer, which is what I'm usually making. :)

Zachary, Once I get the big hammer up and running I'll be making them, though they will not be cheap. A 30#er would run close to what you paid for your German anvil from me. I figure for forged anvils they'll range from $50-100 a pound. Might sound crazy, but there is a lot of work that goes into them-regardless of having a (large) power hammer or not. Lots of forge time, lots of hard hitting, lots of tweaking, and quite a bit of grinding/cleanup work. Not to mention the heat treat/temper and polishing. This also takes into account all of the tooling I will be making to produce these. I can already think of about a dozen tools I need to make to make these go a bit easier. 

I mostly finished forging the little French Pig anvil. Might need a couple more heats to tweak and refine some of the forging. It's been an interesting forging to say the least. I am obsessed with, and pay very close attention to the forging process. Every action has a reaction, knowing what that reaction is, is half the battle. I was surprised at a couple of the reactions from the piggy. :P 

Aaron