I Forge Iron

Melted steel in 4 Minutes. How annoying!

"As he stated loudly in his first posts he believes safety precautions are for wimps"

Did he? I thought that he told about a mistake he did and asked for advice. My English must be rusty.

Cheers

Göte

Different thread and his first post to IFI unless I missed another.

Frosty The Lucky.

I second some of the suggestions:

Elevate the crucible about three inches above the in of the heat...get it out of the major reaction zone of the fuel air.

Coat the metal with refractory cement to lengthen its life or use thicker low carbon steel/cast iron vessel

place dry charcoal inside the crucible to consume O2 present 

I would creep up on the temp rather than overshoot by so much and try to keep a reducing flame...let off on the blower a bit.

Ric

• 1 year later...

Wow guys, I agree with what your saying. But, I'm from real farm country up here in Idaho and young people are constantly being maimed or killed operating industrial equipment. I can think of 5 or 6 from my high school class who were killed or maimed by tractor rollover's, augers, and driving farm vehicles head on into traffic in excess of 60 miles an hour. Lol

'

Welcome and please note the date on the post you've replied to.

Have you done a post in the introduction area yet so we can get to know you and your interests?  My grandfather died a young father when a tractor rolled with him driving; I've read that any industry besides farming that had the same number of kids maimed or killed would have a massive outcry against it.  BTAIM  we try hard to keep the number of folks getting hurt smithing to a minimum.  You will often see rather extensive safety suggestions made, even by people who may not follow all of them theirselves but we would rather err on the side of caution than ignorance.