I Forge Iron

drawer pulls and heart hooks

Pretty darned nice Shane. I've found the ladies sometimes feel sharp corners on plain twists are uncomfortable. It's an easy solution though, simply break the corners a little before twisting or use a smoother twist.

Frosty The Lucky.

Tried to add some more text to the above post, going between my phone and the desktop neither of which had great signal this morning in the rain... So I will try this;-)

We have been in the new house for two years, and my in laws found some surplus cabinets the my wife repainted and did a crackled finish on, but she hated the brushed aluminium utilitarian hardware on them. So we have been doing without for two years like I said, since the other hardware had been an odd size, and none of the big box stores carried anything with that spacing...

So I do a pumpkin festival every October just north of Zionsville, and momma wanted me to make some nice stuff for us instead of selling all the cool things;-) First thing she asked for were some stand off hooks for her antique flour sifter collection. So I had some 3/16" x 1/2" stock and cut it up into 6" piece. I put two center punch marks on them at 2" and 2 1/2". I necked the hook end from the 3" point and the slit the other end down to the 2" mark and then punched at the 2 1/2" mark. I folded the tines of the heart out into a T, and drew them to points ant broke the corners, then I shaped the hearts. The to finish I rolled a curl and back bent the hook, and then rolled the hook free hand to accept about a 1" rod. Then I bent the standoff so the belly of the hook was 2 1/2" off the wall. Tweaked everything so they looked nice, and wire brushed the snot out of them.

I wanted some more hooks, so I used a rod parter(shear) and cut some 3/8" round to 6" and did the same with it, very similar volume;-)

For the drawer pulls I wanted to use 3/8" square for the handles, but was fresh out. So I did have some 1/2" square, and took a guess of 6" to start with. In hindsight 5" would have been better, or I could have turned the mounting pads perpendicular to the twist and that would have given me my 4 1/4" spacing between holes on center. Anyway I marked the boundaries of the twist 3" in the center, then 1" on either side for the area I was going to fuller, which left 1/2" on either end for the bosses I was going to flatten. I fullered with my 4# rounding hammer over the horn and broke the corners on the fullered area. Then I just flattened the bosses making sure to round up the shape before finishing making it as flat as I wanted. Then I used a nice round straight pien hammer and my caulking vice to bend the offsets. To get the handles scrunched down enough I had to switch to a sharper straight pien to get the stems bent in quite a bit. Kept checking to see when I had the holes exactly 4 1/4" apart, the wire brush and let cool. Momma likes them and only 8 more to do... :-)

Tried to add some more text to the above post, going between my phone and the desktop neither of which had great signal this morning in the rain... So I will try this;-)

We have been in the new house for two years, and my in laws found some surplus cabinets the my wife repainted and did a crackled finish on, but she hated the brushed aluminium utilitarian hardware on them. So we have been doing without for two years like I said, since the other hardware had been an odd size, and none of the big box stores carried anything with that spacing...

So I do a pumpkin festival every October just north of Zionsville, and momma wanted me to make some nice stuff for us instead of selling all the cool things;-) First thing she asked for were some stand off hooks for her antique flour sifter collection. So I had some 3/16" x 1/2" stock and cut it up into 6" piece. I put two center punch marks on them at 2" and 2 1/2". I necked the hook end from the 3" point and the slit the other end down to the 2" mark and then punched at the 2 1/2" mark. I folded the tines of the heart out into a T, and drew them to points ant broke the corners, then I shaped the hearts. The to finish I rolled a curl and back bent the hook, and then rolled the hook free hand to accept about a 1" rod. Then I bent the standoff so the belly of the hook was 2 1/2" off the wall. Tweaked everything so they looked nice, and wire brushed the snot out of them.

I wanted some more hooks, so I used a rod parter(shear) and cut some 3/8" round to 6" and did the same with it, very similar volume;-)

For the drawer pulls I wanted to use 3/8" square for the handles, but was fresh out. So I did have some 1/2" square, and took a guess of 6" to start with. In hindsight 5" would have been better, or I could have turned the mounting pads perpendicular to the twist and that would have given me my 4 1/4" spacing between holes on center. Anyway I marked the boundaries of the twist 3" in the center, then 1" on either side for the area I was going to fuller, which left 1/2" on either end for the bosses I was going to flatten. I fullered with my 4# rounding hammer over the horn and broke the corners on the fullered area. Then I just flattened the bosses making sure to round up the shape before finishing making it as flat as I wanted. Then I used a nice round straight pien hammer and my caulking vice to bend the offsets. To get the handles scrunched down enough I had to switch to a sharper straight pien to get the stems bent in quite a bit. Kept checking to see when I had the holes exactly 4 1/4" apart, the wire brush and let cool. Momma likes them and only 8 more to do... :-)