I Forge Iron

1080 steel heat treat at home?

Hey guys, I've been reading about the 1080 steel and how to heat treat it. I don't have a propane forge or anything... I've been reading that you need to heat it to 1475 then quench it, then put it in the overly for hour and a half twice at 350... lol sounds like a casserole. How am I supposed to know how hot it is?? Better yet how do I make a fire that's even that hot? I saw a guy on one video use a charcoal grill and basically put a hair dryer on the side and blew air into it. Also read just heat it up until it is non magnetic then quench and it should be fine.... am I on the right track here? What is the best way to get it hot without a forge? Thanks

Matt

Yes sir you are on the right track.  I've never used it to heat steel with but Cowboy Charcoal gets really hot and may do the trick.  Its a natural wood charcoal for grilling.  Get your self a brake drum to use as a forge, hairdryers will work fine to get you started, but I don't imagine they are up to the task of being a full time forge blowers.  Or you can check out this link. http://www.msforgecouncil.com.  It's a blacksmiths club based out of Mississippi.  The club I am in in Florida has an annual meeting complete with classes, tail-gate sales, and demonstrators. Monthly meetings too.  Great resource.

• 2 weeks later...

To get that hot: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

A basic first forge. You can cobble this together in an hour or so if you've got parts. Or build one in a lawnmower deck. Or make a brake drum forge. Lots of variants. Many of us here started with a literal hole in the ground, and a sideblast using a hair dryer through a pipe or something similar.

To know when you're above magnetic, generally, while you have a good grip on your material, momentarily apply a magnet. If it doesn't stick...........

To do it without a forge? A torch. Oxy-acetlyene, or I suppose you could use mapp gas. But you'll have to be very careful, as it can be difficult to get an even heat, or avoid melting the blade. Probably need a firebrick as a backstop. If you don't have both already, at this point I'd just go ahead and build even a crude forge, as it's not much difference in the work, and easier to control.

It will help a lot to hook up with a blacksmithing group in your area. Massively speed up your learning curve, and hopefully prevent things like quenching in the wrong medium and breaking what your trying to harden, or getting a warp in it.