I Forge Iron

Howdy from New Jersey shore!

OwenK

Hello and thank you for the hospitality!

My name is Owen, I am a beginner blacksmith and I have been a member on Iforge for almost a year now.  Now that I have had a few months of forge time under my belt I felt compelled to say "hi" and maybe in the future take a few photos of projects and maybe, maybe ask a few questions too!  A little more about me:

I have a "Mousehole Forge" anvil, not quite sure the exact date yet, but it has a few notches and dings, a nice wavy belly and not a sharp edge to be found.  All the good attributes for a first-timer anvil!  The other quandary I am faced with is the lack of a backyard forge (or lack of a personal shop, alternatively) but I have made a few friends along the way and have access to smithies to learn and play within.  So I keep busy volunteering my time where I can.

I was able to attend the ABANA conference in Harrington for a day and purchased my first hammer (Nathaniel Robertson 2.25lb  rounding) and saw a lot of great and inspiring people/demonstrations while I was there!

I plan on being more active on this website now that I have more confidence in my abilities and I look forward to sharing photographs and picking other brains for ideas and solutions!

Have a great day/night!

--Owen K.

Welcome to the site Owen! I'll beat everyone else here to it and say that a more specific location on our profile would be great, you never know there might be a fellow smith in the next town over! What part of New Jersey? I used to live in Hamilton, (right next to Trenton in Mercer!) but I recently moved to Arizona some four years ago. Anyway, hammer on and make beautiful iron work!

~Travis