I Forge Iron

2014 Christmas presents, start now

Here is a picture of the Games of Thrones inspired choker.  I decided against getting the dress to go with it and will let her chose on if she wants it.  I also made my first cork screw for my mom but don't have any pics.  

post-29950-0-83966000-1419371836_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hey VaughnT, 

The neclace started life as a conveyor shaft that I got from one of my clients.  I believe it was 1045 1/2" or 3/8" round to start with.  I ended up just giving her the neclace as is and let her decide if she wanted to use it to hold up a dress.  She has worn it many times just on its own and I don't think we are going to buy the silk to make a dress for it.  

It looks pretty awesome and medieval on its own.    

These are the basic steps that I went through to make it.

Draw out the ends from the center leaving about 2 inches un tappered directly at the center.  The tappers were around 10inches long on each side.

Flattend the center to about 1/4".  

Punch and drift the hole slightly offset to the bottom of the flattened bar.  

Scroll the two tappered ends (make sure they are both the same length after scrolling). 

Bend the piece into a circle with some type of jig (I use a large metal disc in my pole vice that is about neck width).  I have tried doing this without a jig and find it almost impossible to bend a nice round without one.  

Slightly bend the middle to end of the tappers down so the neclace rests on the chest and wraps over the neck.  (I did this on the horn of the anvil by trial and error)

Wire brush

Heat with a propone torch and coat in carnuba wax