John Martin

Blacksmith Sayings

Post your blacksmith sayings or sayings that you've heard before. This should get interesting.

A Sign above a smithy read: Iron becomes a living creature in the dragon's lair.

erm, heres a real origional one..

"Strike while the irons hot!!"

"A blacksmiths hell is not made of fire and brimstone, It is a world of clinker"
thats not the exact wording but ya..read it somewhere..

skunkriv   

This has been done a couple times. Do a search in Blacksmithin' on "strike while the iron is hot" an you will find many. Revive one of those threads if you can add some more.

Ian   

How about 'jumped up'? I know it's another way of saying upset (in the Smithing sense of the word) but it also means upstart or arrogant.

solvarr   

get it hot
hit it hard
repeat as necessary

another pebble for my pile of stones (reference to how smiths accumulate little bits of info)

I need a third arm (slang for I need a helper, there are some vulgar versions of this involving prehensile appendages I've heard)

well this saying happened to me yesterday evening when I fired my forge & it got going I was working on a letter opener and rr spike knife and well "had to many irons in the fire" . I will post pictures later today.

habu68   

From the day when the Blacksmith was a respected and central businessman in a community, he was often called on as a witness to a trade or business deal.

Hence "to strike a deal" or "forge a bargain " the auctioneer's hammer is a symbol of this tradition.

To forge a bond, and the response to picking up steel at a black heat....

It never took me to long to look at a horse shoe...

and last to urge on a timid striker," HIT IT, It's not your mama...."

gote   

Helvetet är fullt med kallsmeder.  Hell is full of smiths working too cold

Frosty   

I thought that was, "Hell is full of blacksmiths working for a cold one."

Here's one as old as smithing any metal, "OW, that's hot!" And don't forget, "Where IS that blankety blank!" "You want it WHEN?"

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't forget the ever popular,

"you can have it cheap, you can have it good and you can have it fast, but you only get to pick two."

or the always popular

"price dependent on your attitude"

or

"shop rate $60 an hour, $80 if you watch, $100 if you want to help and $120 if you worked on it first."

Although to the best of my knowledge, Ron White doesn't claim to be a blacksmith, his most famous line surely applies to many situations encountered in my shop.

"You can't fix stupid".