I Forge Iron

Show us your knife grinder

FlyingXS

• 1 month later...

Why is 2x72 such a popular size for grinders?  Mine is a monster, 3 phase, 4x78 that I got free (saw it, and a surface grinder on the sidewalk and asked if they were trash.)  I mostly just use it for rough shaping and grinding but I've worked on a couple of blades with it too.  Is there any advantage to the smaller size?  I have to order belts custom made for it and on my recent order I had to get 9 of the same, I guess to avoid waste of material, so I don't think I'll be getting a lot of different belts for it because the cost adds up quick.

Why is 2x72 such a popular size for grinders?  Mine is a monster, 3 phase, 4x78 that I got free (saw it, and a surface grinder on the sidewalk and asked if they were trash.)  I mostly just use it for rough shaping and grinding but I've worked on a couple of blades with it too.  Is there any advantage to the smaller size?  I have to order belts custom made for it and on my recent order I had to get 9 of the same, I guess to avoid waste of material, so I don't think I'll be getting a lot of different belts for it because the cost adds up quick.

phabib, I believe the reason for the popularity for the 2 x 72 is the economy of that size belts. they are long enough to wear well but not so large or like your grinder an odd size which makes the belts much more expensive.

Thanks.  That makes sense.  I have seen that some metal notchers use a 4 x 78 3/4" belt.  I wonder if my grinder is meant to be 78 3/4 and I just came up with 78" when I decided on what size belts to order.  In any case, the custom belts were cheaper than what I saw the "standard" size selling for.  I don't know if its OK to mention specific vendors here but if anyone wants to know where I'm getting my belts PM me.  I've ordered twice from them, 13 years apart and they were quick, good quality, and reasonably priced both times.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a grizzly 2x72. I bought it about two years ago an wish I had bought it 20 yrs ago. I have done a fair bit of grinding on a craftsman 2x42 which was a nice option for just under $150 new, but did leave a lot to be desired. I have ground countless knives, dozens of axes and three swords on a delta 1x30 that I bought back in the late 80s. The 1x30 was ok( well no, it really wasnt..)but the bigger grinders make a big difference and belt cost on a smaller machine, like the 1x30 adds up quick to make the more expensive machine really attractive. I have parts for about three home builds for the new shop. The grizzly is a good basic machine at a really attractive price, but it does have its shortcomings.

20180909_152730.jpg