I Forge Iron

Show us your knife grinder

FlyingXS

I have been looking at knife grinders on the net, the KMG style seems to be the easiest and most versatile to build.   Just forge my first two knives yesterday which was a lot of fun. So now thinking to the next steps for grinding the blade.

So show us your belt grinders for your blade work.

post-22894-0-30992100-1412216257_thumb.j

I currently use a basic 2x72 from Pheer Grinders. Been using it for 3 years. It works today as it did when I got it. It's a 1hp. End of tge year I will have save enough to buy a Wilmont TAG 101 with a 2hp motor. I have used it extensively and realized it's time to upgrade. The Pheer is a good starter unit and Jose the owner of the company is great to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a more complicated 2x72 designed but was never getting around to building it. So I finally said to myself "how simple can I make this and just get it done". So I made a 2 pulley grinder with the frame mostly being a stick of 2x4 lumber. I spent a weekend making it with most of the time spent machining the drive pulley to go on the motor shaft. In order to simplify things I went with a single slower speed at 1500 FPM which also matches the 1/2 HP size. So far it has been working well. I used it a fair amount just before Christmas working on presents. The major costs were $75 for a used motor and about $6 for 2 ball bearings used in the idler. 

post-23061-0-34670200-1421002459_thumb.j

Andrew that is great, its cheap, it works, and you got it done. No need to wait until you can build the taj mahal.  I have so many building projects... my joke is "In my COPIOUS free time...."  I would love to build one of those... in my copious free time....

• 5 weeks later...

One day I hope that I can buy or make one belt grinder like yours, they are really clean shaped and appears to be very comfortable for knife making. 
I do almost everything with my Bosch grinder, the shape, grinding... only the finishing, that I do by hand with sandpaper. This Bosch is mine: 
IMG_1979_zpsuhtkugvb.jpg

In the beginning it's a bit difficult to evenly remove metal from the knife blanks, but with some practice you can do a lot of thigs with few tools. 
Bacha. 

Bacha I worked for years with just a right angle grinder, and most of the time not even a very good one. I could practically do hollow grinds with it;-) Look around down in South America you might find some cool tools, a friend of mine has knifemaker facebookfreinds and saw some pictures of a very interesting 2x72 belt grinder design from Argentina, and he started building them here in the US. You might look around in the neighborhood so to speak;-)

SJS thank you very much! I never tried to make the hollow grinding on a knife! 
Actually I am using a 14' file to remove more material and keep the grinding flat, working with files is very nice despite the time spent... 
And argentina has very good prices, I buy deer horns from there ;) 
Bacha. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I admire those who build their own as I've built 15 plus grinders for personal use as well as for others, I stumbled across a very reasonable and well made grinder on Ebay for a good price. Some background...I asked for and was tasked with coming up with a 2x72 grinder for the Weaverville, Ca. museum. There is a terrific hammerin there every March during which about 70 smiths show up, many bringing their own coal and gas forges to hammer away for the weekend. Mark Aspery, along with others, generously donate their time and expertise demoing for the weekend. We needed a belt grinder.

So, being tasked, I headed to the web. I found (surprisingly) a grinder maker about an hour away from me and called and asked to see his product. I am impressed by the workmanship and quality of the product. The price point is excellent. That being said, I have no vested interest in the product, but intend to buy one for myself in the near future. For info, go to Ebay and look up 2 x 72 belt grinder. The basic grinder sells for $495.

John