I Forge Iron

commercial axe

Hey guys. A friend of mine is from a logging family and wants a recommendation from me about commercial axes. He's looking for something he can leave his children so he wants top drawer.

What he's looking for as a general purpose forged Swedish axe. A felling axe is fine but he really wants to know who makes the best and I'd like to be able to help him out.

So, what say guys who makes the best forged Swedish axes?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys, I'll pass the links to Jeff. The E-mail address he gave me is a bouncer so it'll be Monday before he's in his office and can get back.

I'm thinking the videos will give him a taste of whats involved in forging an axe head the old way. I know I enjoyed them. Jeff can research things in depth and might like an Autine if John is still able to work. I don't know, he was looking for a quality check and I can't find fault with anything so far. I'm thinking I'd probably go with the Gransforsbruk myself if I didn't already have half a dozen axes.

Thanks again and please chip in if we missed a maker.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty step up to the plate and make him one.

I don't know why my text didn't post but the quote did ...

I was just thinking that if he's looking for something to leave as an heirloom, a nice pattern welded axe might be more thought provoking vs a real nice commercial axe that may be more efficient.

I know a lot of "heirloom" tools are still here because they were the favorite tool of their owner, and in many cases in the past may have been specially saved for because of what it cost to get an item of that quality. The tools however weren't really bought to be passed down. They just got passed down because they survived because of how high quality they were.

In contrast today many people who are buying an item to hand down are looking for something "special" that sets itself apart from the rest. That's why I'm thinking of a tool that is not just a tool, but also a work of art, even if there are better tools out there.

I'm not conveying my thoughts as well as I wish. I'm hoping someone understands and can possibly word what I'm thinking better.

I have two gransfors and a john neeman axe. Gransfors are drop forged in large presses, neeman is Hand forged though they do have a power hammer. Frosty step up to the plate and make him one.

<script type="text/javascript"> //

Funny, I saw footage of a Gransfors Brux axe being forged in the shop with open die presses by hand. Could you specify where you heard/ saw this info? (Not saying you are wrong, just curious). I have personally used a Gransfors to split  a few dozen chords of wood and would also recommend them to the OP.

Ivan I think I used wrong terminology. I saw the same video tour, a huge fast press in stations forges it out in several steps. There is no hand work except in the final clean up though the smiths do initial their work. My carving axe and mini hatchet both have L.P. On them. I carve spoons and love the Swedish carving axe.

OK, I am late to the party, but I will put my vote for a commercial axe behind Council Tool. They are a fourth generation family business here in NC, and have a premium line of axes with 5160 heads on select grade handles. I love mine, and not just because my wife bought it for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly I use my Alaska Forge made boys axe. I agree that YOU should make him an axe, I could help if you want.

I may take you up on that Mark, if he didn't like it I can use it myself. Of course once you find out what we volunteered you for next meeting you might not feel so helpful. <grin>

Right now Gransfors Bruks and Autine are probably what he'll go for. Unfortunately he hasn't replied or even acknowledged an e-mail or two phone calls. He's a good guy so something may be up. I'll find out at our next appointment.

Thanks again,

Frosty The Lucky.

From what I've read/heard on a few ax groups and forums, Gransfors has cut back on their distribution of their axes. Evidently one of their head smiths is very ill and now there will only be a handful of distributors in EU that will sell them, and I don't know about US. I hope Duluth Pack still carries them! 

But I just like the designs of AUTINE myself. I wish we could get John Neeman on this forum and have him share some ax knowledge. That'd be awesome! 

Best of lucky, Mr. Frosty! 

I have a couple of Wetterlings, one is a forestry axe (or something like that) and the other is a carpenter's hatchet.  The axe got a little screwed up by some drunkards on a fishing trip but the hatchet I use all the time.  I don't leave it out at night in camp any more.  I have been very happy with them.  They are a very good mix of price and quality.  I have used the Gransfors hunter's axe and in my experience they are no better than the Wetterlings but they are more spendy.

There are a lot of high quality axes available including my old unknown make ones. The fellow I'm asking for was specific about wanting a forged Swedish axe, it's a family tradition for him I think. I'm copying the info, a sampling of testimony and the links and let him decide.

Frosty The Lucky.