I Forge Iron

A warning that may need to be pinned

As the wife of a blacksmithing addict, I want to confess that I am an enabler. But really, I never have to wonder where my husband is. If he is in the shop, I can hear him! Though it is an addictive habit, it has very few negative effects on his health and lots of positive ones on his attitude and social life (with his smithing buddies). And once in a while, I catch the benefits too. He made me a beautiful bench that is the envy of every passerby and several lovely sculptures have taken up residence on our front porch. We did have to come to the agreement about no anvils in the living room (though I made an exception if he ever makes a full sized damascus anvil that we can use it as a coffee table) but over all blacksmithing is a blessing! --Melody, Patrick's wife and enabler

You think you got passion? Read this quotation from the renowned Samuel Yellin.

I love iron; it is the stuff of which the frame of the earth is made. And

you can make it anything you will. It eloquently responds to the hand,

at the bidding of the imagination. When I go to rest at night, I can

hardly sleep because my mind is aswarm with visions of all the gates

and grilles and locks and keys I want to do. I verily believe I shall take

my hammer with me when I go, and at the gate of Heaven, if I am

denied admission, I shall fashion my own key.

from "Sketches in Iron; Samuel Yellin American Master of Wrought Iron 1885-1940" by Myra Tolmach Davis; Library of Congress Card Number 78-156287. This is a pamphlet which accompanied a Yellin ironwork exhibition at the Dimock Gallery, George Washington University, Washington D.C., March, 1971.

My name is Scott and I am a fire and steel addict

Great post.

The comments about jobs got me thinking.  Lots of jobs I've started the first day a little apprehensive because I didn't know for sure if I'd do well.  Eventually the job got to be such a routine that accumulated skill went wasted making the days drag on.

The addictive ingredient to blacksmithing for me has been the unparalleled freedom to make the tools to make the project.  It starts simple enough - make some punches, chisels, and tongs to make some other stuff.

More often than not, these are made out of scrap metal that was free for the asking.

Maybe it's because it's such a practical vocation, but it seems as though blacksmithing has an impressive amount of entry-level information out there compared to other hobbies.

I believe this to be true. I am also a car guy and I have yet to find a forum that has remotely the helpful newby information ("How do I get started?" stuff) Yeah their are exceptions, but for the most part, blacksmiths just seem to crave sharing their secrets. Just don't ask how to make a Sord :D

You think you got passion? Read this quotation from the renowned Samuel Yellin.

I love iron; it is the stuff of which the frame of the earth is made. And

you can make it anything you will. It eloquently responds to the hand,

at the bidding of the imagination. When I go to rest at night, I can

hardly sleep because my mind is aswarm with visions of all the gates

and grilles and locks and keys I want to do. I verily believe I shall take

my hammer with me when I go, and at the gate of Heaven, if I am

denied admission, I shall fashion my own key.

from "Sketches in Iron; Samuel Yellin American Master of Wrought Iron 1885-1940" by Myra Tolmach Davis; Library of Congress Card Number 78-156287. This is a pamphlet which accompanied a Yellin ironwork exhibition at the Dimock Gallery, George Washington University, Washington D.C., March, 1971.

"...., I shall fashion my own key. "  I love this!!!

As I walk through the corners of my shop I shall feel no cold, the glowing metal is starting to come to life, as a item worthy of its new owner. A few more blows of the hammer will finish this piece, and dreams of new projects dance in my mind. The smell of burning coal fills the sky, with one last blow, its a masterpiece! I know this piece will last a lifetime long after I'm gone, with thoughts and memories still to come. Just saying! I'm addicted as well!

Just back from a week long campout where I took 2 forges, 2 anvils, coal, charcoal, 2 wooden tool chests, scrap metal, postvise, hammers, tongs, forge tarp, poles, ropes, stakes.....lured a bunch of folks in to "try it, the first one is *free*"

The Emperor will be pleased...

Glad to see that Melody is not vindictive; while I was not mentioned on Patrick's Q-S write up I had a bit to do with his glowing steel addiction.  (Unless she is lulling me and setting me up for my doom!)

• 4 weeks later...

this is what i want to do for my retirement, add wood working as well. have made my first batch of charcoal today, hope that its charcoal anyway, and not some white ash. i`ll find out tomorrow. propane is getting expensive, pallets and pine branches are free.

this, and own a pub. already have the bar, just need to finally say goodbye to the uniform, move back to the town where the bar/pub is, and put down roots. then a power hammer. the military frowns on moving heavy floor mounted tools every 2 to 4 years.

addicted, yes, but manageable. moving a lot keeps scrap pile down, and keeps tools to a minimum. not sure if those are benefits. i only have 3268 lbs in tools, about 2000 of that in blacksmith related tools. 

ex wife hated it, new one is happy it pays for itself, and sometimes dinner.