I Forge Iron

A warning that may need to be pinned

Hello Folks,

As I find myself becoming more and more engaged in the art of forging iron, I feel that there may need to be a warning topic that needs to be pinned at the top of this forum. 

Beyond all the basic implements, techniques and safety items that should be flagged to the those who are new, one item needs  to be put to the forefront. 

Though mentioned in passing, nobody warns you how addictive forging really easy. Though I am doing this as a hobby, after a few months I am completely consumed. From reading everything I can get my hands on, to filling any spare moment at my forge, to practicing hammer throws on the subway and completely neglecting my social life. This field of study has taken me in whole and there is no looking back. In any spare moment I am thinking about how to get better and focusing on the "how to"s and coming up with new ideas.

Take care new folks when wading into this. It will quickly consume you, albeit in a good way, but you should be forewarned.

Regards,

Nick

Hello, my name is John...and I am a blacksmith. I've been smithing for a little over a year and just can't seem to get enough. My wife has asked me "how many anvils does one person need?" but yet I want more.

I know what you mean Nick, and can agree completely. I look at it as my source of relaxation and meditation, so it's all good. Except for the black boogers that is.

HAY look @ the UP side you now have pile's of rusting metal in you're front  yard the wife is going WHAT the HECK #$@% & you're trying to tell her its an art supply pile :wub:  now thats FUNNY LOL

Now there's a AAA group for drinkers

SO what do we call it for blacksmith ???  AW A HAMMER IN :o :o :D

YOU"RE TOAST deal with it LOL

Dear Trana,

Check out the OABA, they have got a bunch of things happening. All of us can stop anytime we want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, Right.

Get Hammered, Flattered, Twisted, Punched, Drawn out and Upset. It doesn't change, you still have shoes on your feet and a parka for when you get a chill.

CanIRON is next July on the Cape (Baddeck, Cape Breton). See you there!!

did not seem to work last time frosty! ( and I hope no more fall on you )

Obviously it wasn't big enough then... :P

When I used to help a friend do dive gear demos, he used to refer to what we were doing like we were crack dealers. Give them a free taste and they get hooked.... Smithing is pretty much the same.

Yes my name is Doug and I have a tool addiction... It's under control though. I'm down to only 5 or 6 new tools daily..... :lol:

I took one hit off the blacksmithing drug and got instantly hooked.  Lots of $$$ later, I'm only worse.  Go to bed thinking about my next forge session, wake up thinking about how to form a particular item, find myself scribbling on napkins and postits, working out designs.  I got it baaaaaaad.   Starting to seriously resent my real job's intrusion on my hobby/addiction.   I have a background in psych, these are all very bad signs...   is there a support group for this?!    Oh...wait...  I'm IN it right now.  That's what iforgeiron.com is.  

I tell friends and strangers that blacksmithing is more addictive than crack.  My wife is an enabler.  When I tell her that I have to have that titanium chrome plated one-size fits all spud wrench, she'll check the bank balance.......I remind her that blacksmithing is cheaper than hot rods   lol

Think I'll start a new group called Anvils Anonymous....you start the road back to health by giving up the contraband, don't worry, I'll get rid of it for you.........(but seriously, that name's too good to pass up...)

IForgeIron holds claim and copyright the *Anvils Anonymous* for future use.

I remind her that blacksmithing is cheaper than hot rods   lol

My wife says it is cheaper than bypass surgery too.  Play with fire, hit stuff, get dirty, and wife is OK with it?  No better stress reliever avail for me!

Great post.

The comments about jobs got me thinking.  Lots of jobs I've started the first day a little apprehensive because I didn't know for sure if I'd do well.  Eventually the job got to be such a routine that accumulated skill went wasted making the days drag on.

The addictive ingredient to blacksmithing for me has been the unparalleled freedom to make the tools to make the project.  It starts simple enough - make some punches, chisels, and tongs to make some other stuff.

More often than not, these are made out of scrap metal that was free for the asking.

Maybe it's because it's such a practical vocation, but it seems as though blacksmithing has an impressive amount of entry-level information out there compared to other hobbies.

And then you start making bottle openers, which leads to the mandatory quality control testing of said bottle openers (but only after the fire has gone out), only to wake up the next day and do it all over again. Sounds like an ideal retirement plan to me.

Great post.

The comments about jobs got me thinking.  Lots of jobs I've started the first day a little apprehensive because I didn't know for sure if I'd do well.  Eventually the job got to be such a routine that accumulated skill went wasted making the days drag on.

The addictive ingredient to blacksmithing for me has been the unparalleled freedom to make the tools to make the project.  It starts simple enough - make some punches, chisels, and tongs to make some other stuff.

More often than not, these are made out of scrap metal that was free for the asking.

Maybe it's because it's such a practical vocation, but it seems as though blacksmithing has an impressive amount of entry-level information out there compared to other hobbies.

Exactly. it can very accessible to start and you can see yourself improve constantly as you keep at it.

Knowing I am still very early days but it does seem to be a craft/vocation/art where you are constantly learning and growing. Though you may spend some time doing the same thing over and over till you have it down, there is always something new or a better way to learn. 

For me it is those skills where growth is limitless keeps me coming back more and more. 

n.