I Forge Iron

What weird animals have been in your shop

Sure, sorry about that.

Found it together with a good discussion. Thank you. I have voles, I tried the propane thing. It showed some of the exit holes but did not make them go away. I now have found out how to take them with a kind of oversize mousetrap. If someone is interested I will explain.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I. F. I. Citizens,

My Ex. visited my "shop" a few times, before we divorced.

Does she qualify?

Somehow I think yes.

Regards to all.

SLAG.

T. P. I think feeding her to the wolves is a tad excessive. Don't you think?

Besides it probably contravenes Montreal city by-laws.

Come to think of it; she doesn't bear much resemblance to a vole.

Unfortunately it does not work on these. They rarely go out of their tunnels and would disappear further in the tunnel faster than any canine can dig it up. Besides I only have occsional visit from wolves a few times per year and they would not get through the fence that I have to keep deer, boars and other bigger varmints out. Small voles that do not dig tunnels are eaten by foxes, owls and other birds of prey. I assume a hungry wolf would eat them too.

• 2 weeks later...

A pair of coyote got stuck in my woodshop overnight which left them in a very bad mood when I went to open the door (still not sure how I didn't hit my head when I did a superman flight out the door).  A 1100lb bull decided to take up residence in the woodshop.  A 150ish lb Saanen wether who loved to sleep in the wood shavings after a day of heavy planing in the shop that stayed for 5 years roaming around the shop and outbuildings.  And sadly a great horned owl that had been hit by a car tried to hide in the shop, even though I got it to the local raptor rehabilitator when I found it in the morning it's wing was broken and had to be put down, that was truly amazing since it let me handle it without gloves and never even snapped at me when I picked it up and put it in the truck and drove with it in the passenger seat for an hour to the rehab center.  10345545_661341197248024_8978150126247998145_n.jpg.298b9f347b56dedb2a816228f653ebb9.jpgA rather Well I suppose my shop buddy qualifies as a weird animal in the shop, so here's one of Ubie my fox too....  

10688286_707969155918561_3763608271070089883_o.jpg

741246_446627122052767_18204098_o.jpg

wow, that fox is beautiful.

Littleblacksmith

Not actually in my shop but on my weather hood over the stack to my forge. I was working on some s hooks for a kettle tripod for my wife's large cast iron kettle. I would hammer a few times then hear a lighter metallic hammering. This went along for a while I would go bang, bang, bang on the anvil then ding ding ding mimicking me. I walked outside and there was a large Palliated woodpecker hammering on the hood. Thought for a minute I was loosing it.:lol:

I had to laugh out loud at that one. :D

Littleblacksmith

30 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Oh, that reminds me...  As I was blacksmithing today, I heard this wierd growl/..something. I looked around, and it didn't come from one of the cows. Just one of those things that you never understand...:ph34r:

It was the cows, they're terrible gossips and critics. They just stand there and mutter around their cud while looking at you with big innocent brown cow eyes. They're only pretending to graze all day, they're watching you looking for anything they can find fault with. 

Heed the signs they only look like that as a ruse. I hope you understand now. :unsure:

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty did you skip your meds????   Probably just cow digestion sounds...Though I do remember a tombstone from Malmesbury UK that mentioned a farmer "dieing in an unusual way"  I had to ask the details  and he had been trampled by his cows...

When I was working as a police officer a trooper and I were trying to round up a wayward cow that escaped the pasture. The trooper pulled his unit up to the fence by an open gate. I was herding the cow along the fence thinking she would go in the gate. To both our surprise the cow vaulted over the troopers hood without touching it. Didn't know we had an Olympic high jump cow on our hands.

This fellow emerged from my charcoal bags this evening. I was just doing some light tidying up around my home forge and there he was. I think he was after the rats in the feed shed next door to the forge. By the look of his belly, he'd already had a couple. He's about 6 feet long and I fear for our baby guinea fowl. Will be keeping a watch on him.

carpet snake (2).JPG

3 hours ago, SLAG said:

Aus,

Is that "little"  charmer, a carpet python? Just a guess but I am interested.

Thanks.

Oh by the way, have you got your dog on a leash yet?

SLAG.

Yes, SLAG, a carpet python.

Non-venomous, Arkie, but can give a nasty bite (I know).

It was in the chook run most of the night (I checked regularly) but I think it was targeting rats, as it left the chooks alone, and our little guinea fowl were alive and well this morning. He's disappeared now ... probably hiding out in the forge somewhere. I'll look carefully before grabbing a handful of charcoal from the bags.

On 8/27/2014 at 7:34 PM, Borntoolate said:

Easy solution!   Flea Powder.

Even easier solution (as recommended by our vet):

BORAX!

15 hours ago, ausfire said:

This fellow emerged from my charcoal bags this evening. I was just doing some light tidying up around my home forge and there he was. I think he was after the rats in the feed shed next door to the forge. By the look of his belly, he'd already had a couple. He's about 6 feet long and I fear for our baby guinea fowl. Will be keeping a watch on him.

A friend of mine once was on a business trip, checked into her hotel, went to use the toilet, and found a four-foot ball python curled up inside the bowl. 

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Naw just maim you a bit.  My workshop here in NM has a good supply of black widows; but unless you have a bad reaction most folks don't even go to the Dr...  I wouldn't mind a snake to help with the mouse population...

That's why I don't really want to relocate this python. He's doing a good job on the rats. Just hope he doesn't start on the chooks. There was a pic in the paper recently of a big one down on the coast with a very large possum halfway down its neck, so even the cat is not safe.

As for black widows, our equivalent is the redback spider and there are lots of them. They inflict a painful bite, but are only fatal if you get multiple bites or have some bad reaction. Funnelwebs are a different matter.

Love those pythons, we get the diamond python, very similar to the carpet but very placid. You can grab them with bare hands and they just wiggle to get away. Don't even try to bait.

Good rats' deterrent. We had a resident one a few meters long but someone bagged her. Probably sold at the pub.

Hoping for another one to settle in. They are the nicest snakes to have around.

Can't say the same for the red belly, the brown and the tiger snakes ... :(

Marc 1,

Could you please add the inland taipans, (a.k.a. fierce snakes), and coastal taipans, (a.k.a. eastern taipans),  and the king brown snake (a.k.a. Mulga) to your list.

Australia has some of the most poisonous and fascinating venomous animals on the planet.

I have been a student & enthusiast of them for many years.

SLAG.

(non-venomous).