I Forge Iron

What weird animals have been in your shop

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea, moose and bears are the dangerous ones here too. An angry mose might kill you but so might an angry cow. It is very seldom it happens - perhaps once in fifty years. The danger is if you hit them with your car. A moose is so high and heavy that it will push down the roof and break your neck in most cars. Our bears are very shy but the occasional hunter may get mauled once every few years. Last year, a youth managed to ski through a bear's lair and got severely bitten but after being patched up he survived without lasting injuries. I would proably have bitten him myself if a skiing guy appeared in my bed when I was asleep.

Yellowjackets and hornets do kill people who are allergic or swallow them when they (the insects) try to steal soft drinks. However I usually leave them alone since they keep flies and moskitos down.

On 24/11/2016 at 2:08 PM, Lou L said:

snip... Now, if it was something like a Black Mamba, known to aggressively hunt people, then my environmentally conscious approach would be out the window.

It would not be out the window faster than me!

53 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Some hatch chili, a couple of tortillas, some cheese and a Modelo and you'd have a *meal* BGD!

That reminds me of a homemade poster we had in one disreputable student house...

"If we had some chips, we could have sausage and chips...

....if we had some sausages".

Alan

23 hours ago, Pancho07 said:

I had an armadillo trundle through the other evening

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 1:56 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Some hatch chili, a couple of tortillas, some cheese and a Modelo and you'd have a *meal* BGD!

Armadillos are excellent...grilled

• 2 months later...

I once had a western screech owl get trapped in my shop (it's a harbor freight carport tent). Best I could figure is it snuck in when I was working late with the door rolled up one night. Bugs like to hang out around the lights. I went out to work one morning and it was all wrapped up in the bug strips. I caught him and let him go, he followed me around the property from tree to tree the rest of the day.  He will still stop by and say hi now and again. 

PicsArt_02-20-09.06.50.jpg

Yeah, Marc. I talk to my geckoes too. Like "Stay still for a minute while I count your toes" . I've forged a few geckoes in recent days. They look good nailed to the post in my smithy.

There's also a possum which drinks out of the quench tub. His blood iron levels would be good.

7 hours ago, Glenn said:

The snakes are there after food, rodents etc. Some may be seeking relief from the elements, or heat. Either way, nonpoisonous snakes can be welcome. 

The little snakes I've had visiting, well lets just say, it would be interesting to watch them try and eat the rats. They're somewhat on the wee side, and the rats more like a small cat.

Yes a pest. they dig large holes and tunnels in the ground. like having a moles but 5x larger. not  good having them rooting up the foundation of a small shop. not to mention  my expert weight and load bearing system that is in said shop. .lol

funny you mention cannons my neighbor makes cannons I might give him a call!  been wanting a new shop building anyway!!