• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We know them as a Box Turtle.

They have a 2 piece hinged bottom plate and the top shell. They bring all 4 legs and the tail inside the shell and close the bottom plates for protection. They grow to about the size of a soft ball when mature.

Glenn,

Look at the underside of your  "pet".  The lower shell  (plastron)  is relatively flat.   Male turtles'  plastrons are concave. That helps the male mount a female, while mating.

Yah,  turtles do it too.

The female's upper shell is higher and more domed  giving her more room for developing more eggs.

You can confirm the sex  if you come across the lady again.  (I cant tell from your picture).

Check the eyes.  Male box turtles have red or orange irises.  Female box turtles have brown or yellow irises.

Box turtle have a central posterior notch which his tail while mounting the female. (crushed tails are not pleasant).

There you have it,  

SLAG.

Okay, I can see how a crazed 50 lb. coon could take a person right off his/er feet. I knew they were very smart, good problem solvers and dangerous. No wild ones in Alaska and probably no pet anymore either. 

I never cease to be amazed at what I learn on IFI but am no longer surprised. ESPECIALLY when Slag chips in. I haven't seen a wild box turtle in probably 50 years. That one didn't charge me fortunately but it was a close thing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Jer,

Methinks, your post is  a touch ambiguous.

But that just may be me. I did not get enough sleep last night.  (a.k.a.  "beauty sleep").  AW, who am I kidding.

Even sleep does not do a great job these days.

Did an enraged attack box turtle or a deranged raccoon attempt to attack you?

Evidently you made it unscathed.

Regards to you,  Deb, all the critters, 

and,  also,  all the denizens on I.F.I.

SLAG.

• 4 weeks later...

Not in the shop per se; but when we were loading the anvil stand last night, (it's a large mining timber with a pronounced crack in it), after the smithing demo at my Church's "Country Fair" ; a small lizard exited the crack in the stand and surprised the fellow helping me.- He's a new smith stationed at Fort Bliss; he's from the NE of the USA and the lizard population is low up that way.  I guess he was lucky it wasn't a scorpion...

He works on movable anvils, tanks, though he may not have thought of them in that way before working at my forge yesterday...

• 1 month later...

Since becoming a member here, I have often thought how cool it would be to visit some of you guys at your shops, hang out, learn some of the trade, make something interesting. But after reading this thread...forget it. However, some  of you guys are welcome to visit me any time. The Winters have a fascinating way of keeping the rifraff out of our part of the country.

Just so you don't miss the Ozarks Thomas. Yesterday morning 0600 hrs it was 30° F and raining, the temp was falling rain turned to freezing rain, sleet then snow. Temp wound up to 18°F this morning with 5-10mph breeze. It's a lovely day in the Ozarks. At least the ground was warm enough the roads were OK.

Not truly in my shop, have a few whitetail does that forage in the raspberry plot that is next to it. Did have a herd of turkeys that would hang around the same area but haven't seen them the last couple years since the coyote population picked up.

• 2 weeks later...