Hello all.  I'm Chadwick Avery from San Antonio, TX.  I'm a newbie to metalwork, but it has quickly become my passion as I've learned more about how to manipulate metal.  I started off welding with oxyacetylene and quickly found myself needing a forge to apply a whole lot more heat.

I enjoy picking through the local scrapyards and making artistic/handy items from what I find... which seems to be called "steampunk" these days.  I have a shop on Etsy  and eBay where you can peruse some of the items I've made.  I also build/buy/sell/trade coal/coke forges and the like on Craigslist.  Perhaps most notably, I have several tons of anthracite coal that I'm chipping away at via several ads/storefronts throughout the interwebs (and yes, this is one of the reasons I build forges... to sell coal).  

Another point of interest is the US Cavalry forge that I recently found in an antique shop (I foolishly started a thread about it, looking for documentation, when there were already several... typical rookie mistake, I suppose.  As I live in close proximity to Ft Sam Houston, there are ongoing talks about putting the forge in their museum.  I hope this will happen, but I can't just donate it.   I have to recover my cost and it is, therefore, for sale to any collectors out there.  I wouldn't forge in it unless I were involved in war re-enactments... though it's in perfect working condition.  I'd rather just look at it and show it off!

That's all for now.  I just wanted to say hello.

Chadwick

www.pranavaworks.com

ebay and esty links removed as per ToS

post-55957-0-95314900-1408684629_thumb.j

post-55957-0-33399000-1408684648_thumb.j

Welcome aboard Chadwick, glad to have you. Cavalry forges would be used on the trail, not so much in a base unless it was small and or temporary.  I imagine if a base had a small cavalry contingent a portable forge might be all they needed. I do know they're not all that uncommon even though collectors are buying them up. I know of at least 8-10 in my general area and Alaska isn't known for blacksmithing tools.

Frosty The Lucky.

Might actually be more common in AL as they were easily shippable!  I believe that one has been modified and so drops way down in collectability though it increases usability.

Sure wish you had a ton or two of bituminous blacksmith's coal as there has been a passel of folks wanting to buy some down that way