I Forge Iron

Hobart Leather Apron Running

Hello guys,

So I bought a yellow Hobart Leather Welding Apron (770548). I think it's pretty common apron in blacksmithing, it's pretty cheap, on amazon, and is %100 leather. My problem is that when I get working and sweating this runs its yellow dye onto my clothes underneath. Thankfully I wear crappy clothes for blacksmithing and I think it may come out in the wash. It's like I must wear an apron.....to wear an apron. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys have this problem and if you've solved it? I was thinking maybe soaking in cold water or something but I know nothing of leather and it's properties so I don't wanna ruin it. Thanks guys. 

Some dye experts may wade in here...but with my limited knowledge, some fabrics (not leather) soaked in salt water will set the dyes.  Don't know if that would work with leather.  Suggest you call a leather store like Tandy or some other.

Plain water won't hurt it.  If it gets stiff, just run it over the edge of a board.

You guys really wear aprons? I tried a full and half apron but found them more bothersome then helpful. I've just resigned myself to a steadily nasty looking set of jeans and t shirts that will never again be their intended color! Plus since it's like 100 degrees with 100% humidity I'd be afraid to add the weight of an apron (and yellow die dripping down my leg? Sooooo not my color.)

This is a problem that I run into with welding students every semester. When you start classes in August, by November your locker smells like a wet dog, and the dye is on every light shirt you own.

You can wash leathers in the kitchen sink, bathtub or a plastic bucket. Very hot water tap water, (as hot as you can stand to keep your hands in), hand dishwashing soap, plain ivory soap, or Woolite only. Rounded end of a broomstick or dowel for an agitator if needed. May take a couple of soaks and rinses to get the dye level down.

After the last rinse to get all the suds out, lay the item out flat on an old towel*, roll it up in a jellyroll, and SQUEEZE. Flip it end for end in the towel and do it again. Get another towel, repeat until no more water comes out. Hang it on a line or porch rail to dry. If the item is stiff, chunk it in the dryer on air, NO HEAT, with a couple of clean tennis balls, or even tennis shoes for 20 minutes.

*Do not blame me if you use the good "guest" towels and end up in the doghouse, you were warned.

Step # 1 ) WASH IT ! with Just any plain wash soap for your washing machine.

Step # 2 ) RINSE IT ! with some Snuggle, YES ! I said SNUGGLE Fabric Softener.

Step # 3 ) DRY IT ! (LIGHT or NO HEAT) and ADD SOFTENER SHEETS (about 5... Five) to the Dryer with your Leather Item . when it comes out it will be Very Supple,Soft and Ready to use .

I have done this for Many years with my Welding Jackets and Aprons and such . should you have a Grease issue Soak the area down with "AWESOME" (Look it UP) it works Very well and will not harm your Washing machine !

NOTE: However Clean Off ALL the Metal Fragments that you can .

Happy Living with Leather .

Ret, Sgt Robert D. Yates

13 & On Forge  

I agree with Robert. I used to wash my welding leathers in the washer. They are the same leather. I didn't do it to wash the dye out but rather the sweat but they were clearly a lighter color after the dryer. I even washed leather gloves! Its been a few years but as I recall, the dyes didn't completely wash out of my white t-shirts right away, but once run through the wash, the leather didn't bleed so bad after.

Scott

• 1 month later...

I will Look up where I have hung my welding Jacket it is well in to the mid 80's when I got it and the jacket shows that Motif of drawings and Painting on the back All done in Acrylic paints & Model Car paints Yes I still wash the same jacket as notoed above when I need to clean it after working with Black Iron and Oil coated steels that leave my welding Jacket very very Black and covered in oil and Metal grindings . I wash out the bulk outside and finish up with the Machine wash and when I get photos posted you will see it is still in very good shape . I have even made very minor repairs to it using Kevlar sowing thread  yet it is still Extreamly soft and usable after 20+ years . Photos coming soon .

Ret,Sgt. Yates