I Forge Iron

H/V bandsaw question, well, THERE'S your problem

I bought this from craiglist, and when I finally got to checking it out this is what I found

post-46125-0-58780200-1407796302_thumb.j

So when the folks told me it was working, and that it had only been used for one job, that was a lie.  OTOH, for $100, I'm not out much.  Does anyone here have any experience with this?  How should I attack it?  The gearbox bolts to the saw arm and the shaft goes through to mate with the lower blade wheel.  The worm gear is driven directly from the motor via a step pulley.

I know I can get parts for it (HF is still making the saw), but some help in how to take this apart would be nice.

Thanks 

Geoff

What? It was only used for one job. Nonstop. For 6 years......by a little old lady who only drove it on Sundays.

Is that a keyhole on the gear itself? Hard to say much without knowing what the saw is. Only played with them a little. If it's still being made, you could always try the manufacturer, and/or look for service manual online.

If you go online, you can download the HF manual.  The last pages of the manual, you'll find a parts list and an 800 number for ordering parts.  I've never ordered any parts from HF, so I can only say "good luck, and let us know how it comes out."

Looks like you have a worm gear and an apple gear!

It looks like it would be a tight fit for a gear puller, so drill and tap 2 holes at 12 & 6 o'clock in the 'apple gear' and bolt a small piece of angle iron with a tapper center hole across it. Then by threading a bolt in the middle you extract the gear.

Many of those saws are made in the same foundry with different names attached. We had one eat the worm wheel, and we replaced it with one we located through a tool dealer in town. It was close, but not perfect. We ended up making a special socket, and used an impact gun to lap the gears together after some lapping compound was applied to them. Back, and forth for a few minutes, and it was all good.

Good luck!

I had to order some parts for my HF drill press because they were missing from the factory. Took some time to study the paperwork to figure out exactly what was missing and how many but I eventually figured it out. It was kind of a laborious phone call to explain even with the manual and part numbers laid out in front of me. Eventually I got a package that had about half of the hardware I ordered and another phone call revealed that they were out of stock and had to order more in from china for the rest. I think it was about a month before the rest arrived, and ultimately I ended up with some extra nuts that they included too many of. But now I finally have a depth stop/gauge! :)