Ser Menalak

New member: Ser Menalak

Hello everyone,

I have made a few posts already but I thought I'd introduce myself properly. So, my name is Brendan and I live in MA, USA. I am currently a student studying electrical engineering here in MA. I believe what got me really interested in blacksmithing was the Man at Arms YouTube channel when he made Jaime Lannister's sword from Game of Thrones. I thought it just seemed so cool, not necessarily the final product but all the hammering, heat, and historical feeling (like reading next to candlelight when the power is out). I also have a minor in history though so I have always been interested in the crafts of yesteryear and being a part of such an old tradition. So, about two months ago I took an intro to blacksmithing class where I made the S hook seen below. Since then I have tried to gather materials and jerryrig myself a forge and anvil. I haven't been able to make a lot of things because I lack the resources but I have been on the lookout. The first thing I made at home was simply a 90 degree rake thing for moving the coal around. It was made out of rebar. The second thing I made just recently is a simple wall hook you can see below. I have no proper anvil and as such no horn so I had to just make the bend on a 90 degree edge. I also have no holes to hit something through so I had to drill the hole for the nail/screw after trying for ten minutes with a punch. Anyways, I have already received a lot of good help from you guys and hope some point in the future I can return it.

t56r6b.jpg21l0i15.jpg2mqtehl.jpg

Where-abouts in MA are you? If you are nearby Boston, feel free to message me and get some hammer time in at my shop. I have plenty of anvils to use  :).  Welcome to the forum.

Where-abouts in MA are you? If you are nearby Boston, feel free to message me and get some hammer time in at my shop. I have plenty of anvils to use  :).  Welcome to the forum.

Hi there, thanks for the message. I am in Leominster but frequent Worcester and took my class at Prospect Hill Forge in Waltham. Where is your shop?

I'm about 20 minutes from where prospect hill forge is in Brighton/Boston. My shop is set up with 3 anvils, 1 Post vise (and another that I need to forge a bracket and a spring for asap) a 2 burner propane forge (working on getting another forge built), welders, grinders, files etc. Plenty of room for 2 smiths to work without tripping over each other. I enjoy making ornamental ironwork but when people ask, "I make money" so I make knives from time to time and anything else within my skill level/shop capabilities. If you find yourself in the neighborhood or want to come by, just send me a message before hand. My shop is always open to anyone (when I'm there).

Pretty nice looking hooks Brendan. Horns on anvils are a pretty recent addition, nothing there needs one. A bolster plate is simply a piece of steel plate 1/4" or better with a hole or two drilled through it. When you punch a hole the plate "Bolsters" the stock so the hole punches without much deformation or damage to the punch against the anvil's face.

Don't use a center punch they're for marking steel, not punching holes through it. A hole punch has a near flat face and shears through. You can get away with using a "drift" or "pin" punch. Keep your eyes open at yard/garage/rummage/etc. sales for things like punches, chisels, ball pein hammers, heck most any smooth faced hammer will move metal. You can often find blacksmithing tools, even some really juicy scores.

Things like punches and chisels are good steel and can be reforged or ground into other struck tools. Allen wrenches make good struck tools too. Just remember not to pay much for them unless you REALLY need one in a hurry. Oh and hit the scrap yards, all kinds of good scores move through scrap yards. Remember to sweeten the guys' attitudes towards you with a box of donuts or similar. Good PR is worth gold.

And if you don't take Crazy Ivan up on his offer I'm going to find some really STINKY cybersocks to throw at you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Ser,

and welcome. Just  a hint: my first bolster plate was a flat side cog wheel on a stump. Still works when needed.

Bests and keep on the good work!

Gergely