I Forge Iron

It's been a LONG time coming, but I finally scraped together enough time to make my forge and the cart for it! Please ignore most of the Sharpie markings, this was a huge learning process for me lol. The last image is a link to a video of it running; it's not great quality but I thought it was still pretty cool :) I'll try to take a better video next time!

2014-07-11174936.jpg

2014-07-19192837.jpg

2014-07-25192050.jpg

2014-07-28131758.jpg

2014-08-01175449.jpg

2014-08-01175505.jpg

2014-08-01175720.jpg

2014-08-06202610.jpg

Link to the video (the forum wouldn't let me post it directly)

If there are any improvements you can see, I would love to hear feedback! :)

bending over to get something off a shelf on the open door side is a bit of a safety  hazard

As the lady who cuts my hair can testify - she noticed some singed hair this past week, I realized I had bent down in front of the forge opening to retrieve something from a shelf!   YIKES!   

Maybe put sheet metal on the front side? Remove that temptation.

Even as is, it looks great.

I also wonder if it would be worth adding another fire brick set (removable and adjustable of course) on the front to be able to restrict the opening and hold more heat inside...? Although I don't know if that would be bad, ie. restricting airflow and effecting burner efficiency, I' m absolutely sure there are others on here who know way more than me, I'm still working on building my first gasser. I just have too much of a tinkering mind to not have thoughts and ideas for different possibilities when I see something new.

bending over to get something off a shelf on the open door side is a bit of a safety  hazard

I 100% agree and will keep that in mind when I load the shelves. I'll try to make sure everything is oriented so that I have to come in from the side on the bottom two shelves. The top shelf I can reach just fine without really bending over (I'm short lol) so I think I'll be safe; however I'm very safety oriented, especially since I don't want to be shot down by the wife lol

Maybe put sheet metal on the front side? Remove that temptation.

Even as is, it looks great.

I also wonder if it would be worth adding another fire brick set (removable and adjustable of course) on the front to be able to restrict the opening and hold more heat inside...? Although I don't know if that would be bad, ie. restricting airflow and effecting burner efficiency, I' m absolutely sure there are others on here who know way more than me, I'm still working on building my first gasser. I just have too much of a tinkering mind to not have thoughts and ideas for different possibilities when I see something new.

I actually came to the same conclusion today! I think I'm going to put up two angle irons, one across the top and one across the bottom to create a 'sliding door' effect. Either that or I'm going to make a swinging door with a kaowool-lined inside, I haven't quite decided :) I think the sliding door firebrick gives me more flexibility though, so that's my top choice for the moment.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Wow, that's a lot of forge, sure a lot nicer than my first few. I only have a couple suggestions. I'd tweak the flame so it's aimed at the near side of the floor brick, right now most of the direct heat is aimed at the joint of the floor and kaowool sidewall.

The other suggestion I have is a helper. I built a telescoping helper on my forge, it will slide out a good 18" to support long pieces and can be pushed back in. What I've discovered though is I like hanging tongs from the thing so it never gets slid back in unless I'm moving it.

If you use expanded metal or stout screen to block the front of the shelves it'll help keep you from reflexively bending into the flame but not block your view.

All in all it's a darned nice job. Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

Part of my beginning student safety spiels is to *never* "bow before the forge" Always go to the side if you need to pick up something you've dropped. Singed hair on the head is not as bad as singed beard but the worst is singed nostril hairs as there is *no* escape from the smell!

Wow, that's a lot of forge, sure a lot nicer than my first few. I only have a couple suggestions. I'd tweak the flame so it's aimed at the near side of the floor brick, right now most of the direct heat is aimed at the joint of the floor and kaowool sidewall.

The other suggestion I have is a helper. I built a telescoping helper on my forge, it will slide out a good 18" to support long pieces and can be pushed back in. What I've discovered though is I like hanging tongs from the thing so it never gets slid back in unless I'm moving it.

If you use expanded metal or stout screen to block the front of the shelves it'll help keep you from reflexively bending into the flame but not block your view.

All in all it's a darned nice job. Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you! Since the burner is your design, to hear you say it's well done means quite a lot! :) I'll make the aiming adjustments this weekend if I can get the time for sure.

What does a helper look like? I've never heard of one before.

Here's a second incarnation pic of my shop forge. The helper with the fire brick hasn't moved out in I don't know how long, it stays pushed up against the forge table.

The handle looking thing with the tongs hanging from it is the helper I was referring to. It is upside down in this pic, the cross bar the tongs are hanging from is level with the forge floor when it's right side up and I hang tongs from the tubes that support it and telescope into the receiver tubes welded under the forge table.

With the brick topped helper slid all the way out and the smaller or outer helper slid all the way out they extend about 30" from the forge. If I'm working longer stock I have some stands that used to have rollers, and other things I use for helpers. A good helper is a must for the cutoff saw and drill press, in my shop anyway.

Frosty The Lucky.

post-975-0-86372400-1407568160_thumb.jpg

Yes on both counts, the little helper is mounted to the brick table extension helper. And yes, there's one on both sides of the forge, I can heat the center of a darned long bar without worry about it sagging.

If you make one do NOT use a scissor jack, use a trailer jack. The scissor jack was free but it's a hassle, the lid doesn't move smoothly so I have to shake or bump it to get it to go up or down. A trailer jack can be used without having to make a guide, they're strong and rigid enough to support the whole lid without help.

Frosty The Lucky.