I Forge Iron

I need to have some steel cut.

eseemann

Good Eve all, 

Like Harry Callahan once said "A man's GOT to know his limitations." and I think one of my limitations is I need more instruction (hands on) to make things such as tongs. I know it is (should be) not that hard but until I can get some hands on instructions at a workshop I think I need a plan "B". I would like to find some place in or around Huntsville to have some 3/16ish flat stock cut in to tong blanks. Any one have any recommendations?

Thanks all. 

post-35414-0-08267100-1407284434_thumb.j

Good Morning,

Look up the previous posts on making tongs. There is enough instruction to solve your question, here.

By the time you dick around with water jet, you could have at least one set finished.

Start with the jaw on the near side of the anvil, half faced blows make the shoulder for the front of the hinge area and start your definition for the jaw.

Next go to the far side of the anvil, 1/4 turn left (if right handed. 1/4 turn right if left handed). Hang the back edge of the jaw at the edge of the anvil, using half faced blows holding your material at about 30 degree angle. This defines the back edge of the tong jaw and sets the angle where the two jaws will come together when riveted together. This step also defines the thickness of the hinge area (DON'T MAKE IT TOO THIN!!!!!)

Turn 1/4 turn left (again, left. right if left handed). Hold the section of the hinge area 90 degrees across the anvil, approx 1.5 inches of your hinge area beyond the edge of the anvil. Using half faced blows, this finishes the definition of the hinge area and starts the rein. DON'T MAKE THE JUNCTION TOO THIN at the start for the reins (normal mistake when making your first tongs).

Continue to draw out the reins. Flip the material end for end and grab by the jaw, draw out the reins about 3" at a time (this gives you control and you can see the progression).

Break all the edges, this will allow the tongs to be comfortable.

Make 2 identical pieces. Cut the reins before you rivet them, so they are the same length.

You should be able to forge a set of tongs in a couple hours, when starting. There is no problem to make tongs in under one hour after having a little practice.

Don't be ashamed of your first Tongs. I still use my first set of tongs.

Neil

I think I need to post some photos of the horrid and misshapen evidence of my past efforts, if it not that I have not seen the post of videos about making tongs, the problem is I stink at it. I know this should be one of the more basic skills a hobby smith like myself should know but I have tried in the past and it has not ended well. I have made one "set" in that the sort of fit together but not really. I get the feeling that wanting to cut blanks is like asking about straight razors with replaceable blades over at badger and blade. I have always had a problem free handing anything. This includes wood carving, carpentry, drawing and 3D smithing. Please understand that I am not saying it is too hard and I am not saying I can not learn to do this but right now I am not there.

Thanks all.  

I think I need to post some photos of the horrid and misshapen evidence of my past efforts, if it not that I have not seen the post of videos about making tongs, the problem is I stink at it. I know this should be one of the more basic skills a hobby smith like myself should know but I have tried in the past and it has not ended well. I have made one "set" in that the sort of fit together but not really. I get the feeling that wanting to cut blanks is like asking about straight razors with replaceable blades over at badger and blade. I have always had a problem free handing anything. This includes wood carving, carpentry, drawing and 3D smithing. Please understand that I am not saying it is too hard and I am not saying I can not learn to do this but right now I am not there.

Thanks all.  

That's why Sweddfiddle wants you to make them yourself. Practice. Practice makes perfect. 

Start by posting the pictures of what you have done so far. 

Sounds to me like you need the basics, drawing out and hammer control. Until you perfect those skills, some files and a sander can clean up your work enough to be usable. When you get better, you can refine your first tries. 

Since you need practice drawing out, look up Brian Brazil's method of making tongs. 

Once you at least partly master some of these skills you will find it much faster to use traditional methods than to "cheat", plus, wait till you see what the waterjet guys charge these days. You may as well buy some new tongs. 

Esee, call Morgan Metals, they're over between Decatur and Athens on Highway 31, I know they do plasma cutting work on even very thick stock.  

Also, if you don't want to make any and can't find any used, I bought my first set, just to get going, through Blacksmith's Depot, a basic set of Wolf Jaw tongs.  Everyone said I'd need more/better as I went along, but so far this one pair has been enough for me.  $35, probably less than you'll spend trying to get someone to cut blanks for you.   http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/products/tongs-pliers/german-wolf-jaw.html

Thanks Spanky,

One thing I would like to do is use some of the stock you gave me and if I can get them done in a good size batch give the Athens group a few sets for Iron in the hat. I will give them a call. BTW I am passing on some steel to a new smith including one from you.

Good Morning,

When you are making tongs, the MAIN RULE is to turn left, left (if you are right handed) or right, right (if you are left handed).

NEVER TURN LEFT, RIGHT!!!  OR  RIGHT, LEFT!!!!!

When you watch the Brian Brazeal video, he turns left, left.

This means that you start on the near side of the anvil. TURN LEFT 1/4 turn, go to the far side of the anvil at a 30 degree angle (to start your hinge area). TURN LEFT 1/4 turn, finish defining the back of the hinge area / start the base of the rein.  Left, Left.

If you tell yourself you can't do it, you can't do it. Is the cup half full or is it half full. Think Positive.

If you don't like the tongs you have already made, look at them close, figure out what went wrong, don't do the same mistake again. They are not junk, they are part of learning!!!

Neil

I don't know what a custom cutting job like that will cost, but google Quick tongs, you can buy a pair of blanks for < $10.

Have you seen the Twist Jaw method? Maybe you want to start there if you haven't treid it.

I am with the camp of keep practicing til you get it right, but I enjoy making tools. If you don't, you may prefer to buy and spend your time forging other things.

Eseemann: You're really over thinking the things. Tongs I make still look pretty crappy but I don't make "show" tongs they just need to do the job. Heck I was drawing the reins down on my last pair and let it get too cool and broke the screws holding the die in my LG. My bad but I learn from my mistakes. . . Well, some folk don't think so and they MAY be right. Maybe I should've said I try to learn from mistakes I just have to know what I did wrong.

Anywho. Forget the CADD, forget "perfect", heck, forget good looking, just go make tongs. It'll come to you if you do but you will never learn if you don't. Maybe we should ask some of the old masters hanging out here if they have pics of their first couple pair of tongs.

Frank, Brian, John, got some pics guys? I'd ask Metalmangler, Mark but if he has his first pairs they'd be so buried under the mounds, and walls full, buckets, etc. it'd take an archaeologist and gvt. grant to find them. <not really joking. grin> Mark's tong demos are legendary and very popular amongst us who don't make tongs rather than find the right pair.

Frosty The Lucky.

esse,

Some have suggested making some tongs by the twist method.  I made my first set of tongs using the "Dempsey Twist" method and still use them today.  Pretty much bullet-proof and very easy to make.  Good start for beginner tongs and will build your confidence.

http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.php?lesson=jd_tongs/demo

I would recommend 3/8" x 3/4" or 3/8" x 1" hot rolled steel (A36) bars.  Just remember that when you twist the jaws in your vise to do both the same direction!!  Another mod on Dempsey's method I made was not to fuller the reins out with a fuller, but you can quickly run them out fullering on your horn...MUCH faster.  Also, don't run out your reins much past red heat, or you'll get cracks.  For starters, don't worry about punching the rivet holes; just drill them.  You can learn punching later.  I used 3/8" rod for my rivets.

And...to add to what Frosty said; use them to work with, don't worry about "pretty" for now.  Most of my tongs are b**t ugly!!

Here's my first set with the Dempsey method...I later adjusted the jaws for a certain size grip.

post-44354-0-42080100-1407360128_thumb.j

Go make some tongs!!!!!

Practice.  Watch every available video you can and watch Brian's 28 min video over and over.  Watch it enough and it will make it easier.  Never thought I could forge weld,  read and watched everything I could find on it then went out and played and it worked.  Biggest thing like others have said,  don't get caught up in how purty they look  they have to function first.  If you have a welder or can forge weld just start making multiple jaws and try to keep them the same but with 6-8 sitting on your bench you can mix and match so the jaws make nice pairs.  Then weld on your reigns.  Once you have a little more confidence in getting what you want in your jaws you can move to drawing out reigns. 

Somewhere there has been a chart or two posted on sizing tongs for your work,  has how thick bosses and such should be.  draw it out on paper and take your time and forge it out as close to your drawing as you can.  My last set of  V-bit tongs took a fair while to make but I spent extra time getting them to match what I had drawn out.  But the extra time making them right made for a really nice to use tool.  still won't win the beauty contest though.

Hope you win with them  :)

I maybe I asked the wrong question. The main thing I would like to know is a recommendation of someone that can plasma/laser/water cut steel close to Huntsville (thanks Spanky). I am going to get better at tongs and spoons (I shall master the spoon one day!!!!) but for now I wanted a good set of tongs with out having to pay $35.00, I figured if I could get a batch of them cut out they would be good iron in the hat fodder that is all. I am not saying I will stop trying.

Let me ask a different question. Take a look at the attached photo and tell me if this looks like something I should see about having laser/plasma/water cut and if there is no recommendations in Madison County Al I may call Morgan Metals and see what they would want to do it.   

post-35414-0-60464500-1407409294_thumb.j

post-35414-0-02867100-1407409295_thumb.j

I known of at least three or four bladesmiths in the Huntsville area (don't normally indulge, but Roll Tide), gotta be a few blacksmiths. It is after all the central hub of redneck engineering (hence the big NASA building across from the ATI Wah Chang plant). If ya can't get there on your own using the Nascar method (turn left!!!! turn left!!!), then get to meeting and  get somebody experienced to walk you through making a couple of pairs. Cheapest method you'll find by far.

Failing everything else, find ya a farrier supply/flea market/some such, and if you have to, modify farrier nippers or even fireplace tongs. Pick up old ones for a couple of bucks each. There's a flea market on Memorial Parkway, and i think another off of Leeman Ferry right before you get to the landfill. Shoot, they might even have blacksmithing tools.

Nobody,

The next time you are in Madison County take a min to stop at the "Ghost Town" flea market on hiway 72 west of indoor fleamarket heading toward Athens. They have been a good place to find old worne out files that are American made and other neat stuff.

I am going to be looking at the fleamarket in Ardmore for the nippers as well. I do not know the one near the landfill but I will take a look.

E