I Forge Iron

Hugh McDonald Steel Rolling Mill

I recently completed my build. Though I have a few minor tuning tweaks to do, it works as advertised. Quite useful for small spaces and residental areas where a power hammer is not practical. It is not a substitute for a power hammer but useful nevertheless. When I can get to my home computer, I'll post some pictures.

Jimbob, depends on what you expect from it. I would hate to be without mine now that I have it but it isn't a replacement for a PH or a press for me. I have found it to be very good at working to final thickness on damascus bars. Under 1/4" it is more efficient than my press and more accurate than the press or hammer. That's great for me when I am making steel for others ordered to specific dimension. It's nice when I am making 1/8" material for stock removal knifemakers. I have even made some 1/16" material. In my application it is a real handy precision finish tool. Photos in galley here and on my site.
Matt

Yep, I'm on here. It's a wonderful tool, but just like every tool, it has it's strengths and weaknesses.

The first one I built, had a maximum thickness of about 2 inches. It doesn't move steel real fast at that thickness. I usually work in the 1.25 and down area.

What other questions do you have?

Jamie

Yep, I'm on here. It's a wonderful tool, but just like every tool, it has it's strengths and weaknesses.

The first one I built, had a maximum thickness of about 2 inches. It doesn't move steel real fast at that thickness. I usually work in the 1.25 and down area.

What other questions do you have?

Jamie

not sure I just ordered the DVD from Norm Larson. I've been reading about the rolling mill for a whille and kinda have and itch to build one.
it looks like for making pattern welded blades it would work really well

I use it all the time for pattern welding. There is one big advantage (or drawback, depending on your point of view), random pattern is nearly impossible. I have to really work at it and try to get random pattern. Completely straight is a piece of cake. Ladder patterns are wonderful. It takes a slightly different train of thought to manipulate the patterns, but it's worth it.

Jamie

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

THANKS FOR THE COMENTS.

plans are available as indicated,have trialed the machine on some quarter inch thick bar and rollled it down under 1/16 .it rolls the bar nice and even thickness.

now got to start the power hammer.not sure which type i should build. any suggestions

thankks again. DANIEL DIDTAS.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried ordering the plans 3-4 weeks ago from Norm and they are not available. I need some asap.Does anyone have a set I can buy ******? Please do not reply telling me where to order. I have tried that option and now cannot wait. I have several projects due very soon. Thanks for any help.

Edited by mod07
Illegal request deleted

Thanks. I have a set on order from Norm but have been waiting for a month. He does not have any in stock. I have ordered other items from Norm with great success and as soon as the plans get in his possession he will send me a set. I have had no intention on "cheating "anyone. Regardless if someone helped me out or not he still has a paid order from me. I have already placed an order and paid Norm. I just can't wait to start building it to much longer this year. Time is the biggest issue here for me. I wanted to make clear what my intentions and situation is.

• 2 years later...